Ready to learn what it takes to run a financial department at a powerhouse nonprofit? We’re looking for an accounting and operations associate to join our fierce, smart team challenging global corporations, holding them accountable, and creating a world where all people can thrive.
Why you’ll love coming to work every day
You’ll help change the world. We’re not kidding. You’ll be joining a team that’s not satisfied with the world as it is — and has a vision for how it should be. Add a nearly 40-year track record of winning campaigns and badass plans to win even bigger, and you’ve got a powerful force to be reckoned with.
You’ll work with awesome people. Join a team of super-smart, kind, funny, gritty, determined, and optimistic folks. We work hard, celebrate victories large and small, and we’ll have your back through it all.
You’ll be a part of fearless and winning campaigns. We expose and challenge the abuses of the likes of Nestlé, ExxonMobil, Philip Morris International, McDonald’s, Dow Chemical, and more. We name names, don’t back down, and don’t stop until we win.
You can take on big responsibilities as you go. Be ready to take on more as you learn and grow. We pay lots of attention to growing staff leadership, and we provide support and training to help you be the best you can be.
You’ll find a culture of inclusiveness, because it matters in all sorts of ways. We are deeply committed to prioritizing the leadership of those who bear the brunt of corporate abuse: women, people of color, low-income people, people in the Global South, and LGBTQ folks around the world. Our unique culture has been fostered by a long history of women at the helm. We know we are stronger when the organization reflects the vision of the world we’re building together.
What you’ll do
We run hard-hitting campaigns and raise money enthusiastically to power the organization — and making sure our financial systems are in tip-top shape is vital to our success. Your job will be to provide the coordination of our finance systems that we need to win big. You’ll learn from and report directly to the finance director, and you’ll be part of a dynamic team that ensures all the gears are turning perfectly to help us stay on track and seize important campaign opportunities as they arise.
You will play a lead role in pulling together tools that help us make the best organizational decisions. And one of the most important things you’ll do is give keen and careful attention to maintaining general ledger activities and month-end closing. Not to mention developing and running the administrative functions that support sleek and smooth functioning of financial systems — that’s all you.
Don’t plan on holing up in a cubical all day. You’re going to get to know everyone across the organization well as you work with them on all sorts of accounting and administrative projects. You’ll be the go-to accounting and operations associate who helps make big change happen in the world.
If you’re ready to launch your accounting education into action, or looking to build on your first accounting gig, this is a perfect position for you. You’ll be jumping into a financial department where you’ll play a hand in most functions.
Who you are
- The rampant abuses of corporations and the outrageous amount of power they have make you mad as hell — and you want to do something about it.
- You have an excellent head for numbers and preferably know your way around a general ledger. You get income and expenses, and you know how to reconcile balance sheet accounts. Note: if you have more of a predilection for accounting but less experience, you are eager to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can, and you are excited to put it to work as you go, please apply.
- You are detail-oriented to a fault and can stay organized like nobody’s business. Plus, you have mad administrative skills.
- You are a secret (or not-so-secret) Excel nerd — creating elegant formulas and organizing spreadsheets make your day. And if you have experience with QuickBooks, you’ll be able to hit the ground running.
- You can communicate well and you’re good at training folks. It’s no secret that not everyone gets accounting or finance concepts. You have the ability to meet people where they are, get them up to speed, and create resources that make it easier for them to provide the financial information you need.
- This is an entry level position, so ideally, you have one to three years of direct financial, accounting or administrative experience. Got a BA in accounting, finance, or business administration? That’s awesome too, but not necessary.
What you’ll be responsible for in the day-to-day
- Ensuring the efficient and effective management of the finance department’s key areas, such as maintaining the general ledger, managing accounts payable and receivable, processing donations, reconciling balance sheet accounts, and following internal controls.
- Preparing monthly financial statements that are on-time and accurate, and providing informative variance analysis. You’ll also be expected to jump in and provide financial analysis and financial modeling for senior leadership across the organization as needed.
- Supporting the annual audit.
- Assisting in the month-end and year-end closing processes.
- Implementing and making recommendations on how to improve our financial processes, so we can enhance the timeliness and accuracy how we plan, forecast, and close financial results.
- Participate in organization-wide planning, fundraising, recruitment, and campaign activities.
Salary and benefits:
- Your salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Our generous benefits package includes health insurance and dental coverage; FSA for transit, healthcare, and dependent care; and 401(k) with employer match.
- Generous vacation and holiday policies.
- Ongoing training and leadership development opportunities.
- Bright, renovated Campaign Headquarters, complete with open, collaborative workspaces; a big, social kitchen; and beautiful artwork.
- Celebrations for important personal and organization milestones.
Location: Campaign Headquarters in downtown Boston, MA
To apply: Attach your résumé to the online application and include a cover letter and a list of three to five references. Please include where you heard about the position.
Corporate Accountability International is a member-powered organization that protects human rights, public health, and the environment from corporate abuse around the world. Since 1977, we’ve secured lifesaving victories in the face of tremendous power, money, and influence.
Corporate Accountability International is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. People of color, women, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply. Join more than 60 smart and driven staff and interns working in this dynamic organization with a powerful network of members and allies around the world.