Job Title: Activity Specialist, After-School and Camp
Department: Education & Employment / After-School & Camp
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Temporary, Part Time (18 hours per week)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
Education and Employment Services is an 8.2 million dollar division serving about 9000 people each year through a continuum of services from Early Childhood Education through Adult Workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include an Early Learn Program, After-School Programs (6 sites), 4 Day Camps, Youth Recreation, High School Initiatives including 2 Community Schools, and our Expanded Horizons College Success Program. Programming takes place within 3 community center sites and multiple school-based programs. Employment Services include walk-in employment services, employment services for a public housing population, ESL job readiness training, and employment services for youth including SYEP and Young Adult Internship and Adult Literacy Programs. The Activity Specialist reports to the Program Coordinator or Site Supervisor as a specific school-based or community center-based program.
Qualifications & Responsibilities
- High School Diploma and enrollment in college in a related field (Education/Social Work/Sociology, etc.) required.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working in an after school or camp setting leading activities and developing lesson plans.
- Strong content knowledge of engaging recreational and artistic activities for youth.
- Thorough knowledge of classroom management, behavior management, and positive youth development principles.
- Interest in providing quality hands-on theme based projects, and recreation experiences to youth in grades K-8.
- Experience preparing program participants for sharing’s, culminating events, and exhibits.
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds in school and community center settings.
- Strong professionalism with the ability to take on multiple responsibilities, be flexible, and possess a positive team-oriented attitude.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong understanding of the after school program model with the ability to enforce program expectations and department policies.
- Passionate about providing quality artistic and recreational experiences to youth of all ages.
- Must be able to work five days a week Monday-Friday from 2:30pm to 6:00pm, and on select holidays from 8:00am-6:00pm.
- Co-teach with other specialist in the classroom and lead groups in creative artistic and recreational activities.
- Find/Create opportunities for students to learn and build upon their skills and interests.
- Maintain records of all participants and activities including attendance sheets and progress within the activity.
- Attend mandatory trainings in compliance with NYC DOH regulations.
- Provide agency with all of the required paperwork, certifications, and support documents in compliance with NYC DOH regulations.
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Activity Specialist” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.