The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee (ACLU-TN) is seeking a full-time Administrative and Technology Manager, who will be responsible for ensuring the smooth daily functioning of ACLU-TN’s operations at its statewide office in Nashville, including working with outside vendors and contractors, administering human resources, managing office volunteers, developing and organizing office procedures and providing administrative support to the Executive Director. The qualified candidate also will be responsible for managing and planning IT related operations, specifically regarding to the day-to-day maintenance of the ACLU-TN’s IT infrastructure. The position requires attendance at occasional evening/weekend events and meetings, and the ability to take initiative, exercise sound independent judgment, and be a dynamic team player.
ACLU-TN is a private, non-profit non-partisan advocacy organization dedicated to protecting and advancing civil liberties and civil rights through work in the courts, in the communities and at the legislature. We champion a range of issues, including freedom of speech, racial justice, criminal justice reform, voting rights, religious liberty, LGBTQ equality, and reproductive justice and fair treatment of immigrants and refugees. ACLU-TN is an affiliate of the national ACLU with offices in all 50 states and in Puerto Rico and Washington D.C.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Administrative and Office Management
• Maintain overall professional appearance of office and ensure an organized and cohesive work environment for staff, interns and volunteers.
• Coordinate with building management and maintenance engineer on issues related to office space.
• Manage vendor contracts and maintain vendor lists and contact information.
• Provide initial point of contact for the organization by handling all general phone/email inquiries and rerouting non-general calls, complaints, or inquiries to appropriate staff for follow up.
• Manage incoming/outgoing mail and maintain adequate postage for bulk and general mailings.
• Maintain an adequate provision of office supplies; review and approve supply requisitions; manage organization office inventory.
• Manage organization file storage and archiving procedures, and ensure compliance with records retention and confidentiality guidelines.
• Facilitate communication among the staff by scheduling meetings, and maintaining central calendar of all organization meetings, events and activities.
• Assist Executive Director in supporting the work of ACLU-TN’s board of directors, including maintaining and updating handbook for new members, preparing materials for meetings, ensuring production and updates of manuals and other relevant documents, maintaining board contact lists, coordinate meeting logistics and take meeting minutes.
• Analyze and monitor internal office management processes; design, propose, and implement office procedural and policy changes to improve operational efficiency.
• Assist in other administrative activities as needed.
Financial Systems Support
· In coordination with bookkeeper, assist with maintenance of organization’s QuickBooks bookkeeping system to prepare deposits, pay invoices, reconcile bank statements, and run regular financial reports.
· Work with development staff to track and report revenue to National ACLU, including facilitate annual revenue reconciliation.
· File required annual reports and applications.
· Assist the Executive Director and senior staff in preparing the annual budget.
· Maintain confidential employee records, including benefits, performance reviews, and all documents relating to employment.
· Manage organization timekeeping subscription (ClickTime).
· Manage employee benefits programs (medical, dental, life, long/short term disability, etc.).
· Administer onboarding process to ensure each new staff member is welcomed, set up for success from the outset, and able to integrate seamlessly into the organization.
· Recommend and maintain organization policies and procedures, including answering employee queries about HR-related issues.
· Facilitate postings of new staff positions. Maintain and build distribution lists for job postings to ensure listings are provided to venues that will help create diverse applicant pools.
· Assist the Executive Director in maintaining a strong team spirit.
· Analyze information and technology needs from a strategic and operational perspective.
· Serve as the primary helpdesk resource for ACLU-TN staff, interns and volunteers by answering questions about and troubleshooting issues with the organization’s technology infrastructure.
· Work with IT consultant and appropriate vendors in overseeing and ensuring optimal performance of the organizations technology, including:
o Creating and managing user accounts;
o Maintaining corporate and “visitor” wired and wireless networks;
o Configure and perform preventative maintenance all servers, switches, routers, firewalls, VPNs, UPSs, telecommunications hardware and software, anti-virus/malware systems, internet connectivity, cloud-based services and network storage devices;
o Provide hands-on installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of all end-user technology: software, hardware and equipment;
o Identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in time; and
o Recommend and coordinate purchase of equipment and software and establish partnerships with IT providers.
· Maintain electronic inventory of ACLU-TN equipment, software and subscriptions.
· Monitor changes or advancements in technology to discover ways the organization can use technology to achieve its mission and stated goals.
· Design, develop, implement IT best practices, policies and procedures.
· Liaise with ACLU-TN staff in generating appropriate intern and volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of the organization.
· Research and draft volunteer policies and procedures, including risk assessments, and conduct continuous evaluation of volunteer delivered programs/services and implement corrections when necessary.
· Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit volunteers with the right skills at the right time to match the needs of the organization.
· Train staff to work effectively with volunteers on each program and resolve any conflict or misunderstanding without bias.
· Maintain an up-to-date database, including hours worked, staff assignment, start/end dates, performance reviews, and reference letters.
The Administrative and Technology Manager reports to the Executive Director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to fulfill the above duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Strong commitment to civil rights and civil liberties.
· Bachelor’s degree and/or four years’ experience managing offices within nonprofit sector and supporting senior level Executives and Board of Directors, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience and excellency with computers in support of the accounting function to include QuickBooks, Excel, and Word for use in financial reporting; the ability to professionally format documents.
· Ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, to work collaboratively and prioritize with colleagues.
· Outstanding attention to detail, work ethic, and problem-solving skills, as well as a willingness to learn new skills.
· Direct experience and expert proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Access, Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
· A commitment to and understanding of diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
· Ability to balance competing and shifting priorities while maintaining work-life balance and sense of humor.
· A reliable vehicle, registered and insured and the appropriate driver’s license.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including 100% employer paid health and dental insurance plan; long and short-term disability and life insurance; employer-matched 401(k); generous sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Please submit in digital form, via email, a detailed letter of interest, resume and contact information (phone and email) for at least three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments must be in Word or PDF format. Please put “Administrative and Technology Manager Application” in the subject line of your email. Please also indicate in your cover letter where you heard of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
You will receive an email confirming that your application was received. We will contact you as soon as possible regarding the status of your application. Please do not contact the ACLU-TN office regarding the status of your application; we unfortunately cannot return calls and email inquiries.
The ACLU of Tennessee comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee (ACLU-TN) and the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Tennessee (ACLUF-TN). The ACLU-TN and the ACLUF-TN have the same overall mission and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties and civil rights. To learn more about the work of the ACLU and the principles we uphold, please see www.aclu-tn.org www.aclu.org.
The ACLU of Tennessee is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability and veteran status.