Administrative Coordinator [SD-07]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
ACLU of South Dakota, Sioux Falls, SD
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or national origin.
The ACLU of South Dakota (ACLU-SD) seeks a dynamic full-time Administrative Coordinator. Headquartered in Sioux Falls, SD, the ACLU-SD defends civil liberties and civil rights in South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wyoming through litigation, legislation, and public education.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Administrative Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient daily functioning of the office, including managing legal intake processes, and providing administrative support to the Executive Director and state policy advocates. The position will also be responsible for planning the annual benefit, “Cheers to Liberty”.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with National ACLU budget and finance staff ; maintain financial and lobbying reports, request bill payment, and perform other bookkeeping functions.
- Maintain files and records, including electronic files and documentation.
- Manage office operations involving mail, supplies, copying and filing;maintain calendars and schedules.
- Manage the legal intake process to include checking the intake line voicemail as well as monitoring USPS mail and email accounts. Maintain a database of legal intakes.
- Prepare and file legal documents in coordination with the Legal Director.
- Assist in legal case management, including maintenance of client relationships and electronic files.
- Support office information technology functions, including basic troubleshooting and maintenance; act as liaison with IT consultant.
- Manage communications systems, including phones, copiers, fax, and printers, including procurement, maintenance and supplies.
- Coordinate staff travel.
- Assist with membership and donor development initiatives including donor research and cultivation strategy.
- Manage donor/member database to include gift processing, data entry, reports generation, and records review.
- Ensure timely donor acknowledgement.
- Work with the Executive Director to coordinate submission of grant applications and ensure reporting compliance.
- Provide research and general assistance as required to state based policy advocates during the legislative session.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office; demonstrate a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Work with event planner to execute ACLU –SD annual benefit, “Cheers to Liberty”
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Two years’ experience in administration/office and general operations required.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities while demonstrating grace under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess strong organizational skills, be detail-oriented and possess the ability to follow projects through to completion.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently as well as collaboratively with colleagues and external constituents.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite ( e.g. Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Excel), Quickbooks and internet research tools.
- Commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter which includes your minimum salary requirements, your resume and a writing sample (relevant to the position) of no more than five pages to: hrjobsSD@aclu.org – reference SD-07 in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”