Affiliate Marketing & Communications Coordinator [ASD-59]
American Civil Liberties Union
Affiliate Support & Nationwide Intiatives Department, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and the laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country. Whether it’s achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, ending mass incarceration, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, age sexual orientation, disability or national origin.
The Affiliate Support & Nationwide Initiatives Department, whose purpose is to work with and strengthen the 50 affiliates and 4 national chapters throughout the country, is seeking a full-time Affiliate Marketing & Communications Coordinator to support the digital communications efforts of the ACLU’s affiliates. Reporting to the Affiliate Digital Communications Manager, the position has primary responsibility for providing email production services to affiliates that participate in the ACLU’s online marketing program, the Community Action Network (CAN). Affiliates rely on the Affiliate Marketing & Communications Coordinator to produce their email messages, which enables them to participate in the nationwide coordinated email-marketing program that communicates with national and affiliates’ shared subscriber base. The position also provides guidance and support for affiliates’ social media efforts and web site presence.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work one-on-one with affiliate staff to produce and edit campaign content including emails, social media posts and online actions to engage supporters in campaigns and encourage them to take action.
- Set up supporting pages for all email campaigns, including petitions, surveys, letters to elected officials, and event registration pages.
- Code and test HTML emails using email management software.
- Design and implement A/B and multivariate split tests for email, social media and website content.
- Collect and analyze email metrics including open and click through rates, unsubscribe rates and testing results.
- Provide guidance to affiliates that use the ACLU web template for their independent sites, including coaching in using Drupal software, applying best practices and ACLU style to content layout, and copyediting as needed.
- Research images for ACLU campaigns and provide digital files for affiliate use.
- Create and distribute graphics for affiliate use in online campaigns. Manipulate photos, combine text and visuals to create original artwork, and ensure graphics adhere to ACLU nationwide branding.
- Coordinate with key Affiliate Communications, Development, Advocacy and Program staff to establish email and website campaign goals, develop campaign concepts, and review content.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office; A personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years’ professional experience in email marketing, web production or related field.
- Strong proofreading and grammatical skills, and commitment to high-quality standards.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficient in HTML and CSS coding without the use of WYSIWYG editor. Experience adjusting graphics for use in HTML production. Knowledge of cross-browser, cross-platform issues.
- Experience using Photoshop or other design tools to create basic graphics.
- Experience using enterprise customer, email and web management systems such as Selligent Message Studio, Drupal and Salesforce.
- Familiarity with developing and performing A/B and multivariate email and website testing and analyzing results.
- Understanding trends and best practices for online campaigning, and best practices for email marketing, Facebook and Twitter.
- Strong organizational skills and familiarity with copyright and licensing agreements to manage a clearinghouse of images available for affiliate use.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a cover letter (with salary requirements) and a resume to hrjobsASD@aclu.org. Reference [ASD-59/ACLU] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address. This email address is specific to the Affiliate Support and Advocacy Department. In order to ensure your application is received, please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address.
Please indicate where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential functions and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”