Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Associate Director, Health Center Regulatory Strategy colleague that will report to the Senior Director of Health Center Regulatory Strategy and will work collaboratively with national staff colleagues within CAPS (Consortium of Abortion Providers) as well as other departments, to provide regulatory and operational analysis to assist Planned Parenthood in anticipating, understanding, and responding to legislation impacting health center facilities and operations, TRAP (Targeted Restrictions on Abortion Provider) legislation.
TRAP laws impose restrictions on where and by whom abortions can be provided, singling out abortion providers for medically unnecessary, politically-motivated restrictions designed to restrict access to abortion. These TRAP laws can include construction, licensing/staffing, and operational requirements for health centers. As such, the Associate Director will be responsible for understanding, communicating, and effectively navigating complex areas of law and affiliate capacity as it relates to health care facilities construction, staffing, and operations. The Associate Director will also work to address systematic operational barriers to abortion access that are caused by restrictive legal environments and/or opposition tactics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and develop PPFA’s understanding of the operational impact (including impact on service delivery, staffing, equipment, and existing protocols) of active TRAP legislation/regulations.
- Conduct statutory and regulatory legal research on TRAP restrictions; track these regulatory restrictions on a state-by-state level; provide summaries and interpretations to affiliates and broader PPFA audience as needed.
- Develop and execute affiliate-facing projects to address health center compliance vulnerabilities related to abortion restrictions, such as providing support to affiliates drafting plans of correction in response to health center inspections. Evaluate and identify options for compliance in a way that is consistent with the enforcement environment and affiliate operations.
- Provide analysis, consulting, and technical assistance to Planned Parenthood affiliates in the areas TRAP legislation will impact them. Under certain circumstances, the Associate Director will be deputized by the Litigation & Law Department and/or the Office of General Counsel to conduct legal work related to affiliate compliance with TRAP restrictions.
- Provide technical assistance and consulting to affiliates on several aspects of TRAP implementation including operational, health care facility and licensing areas.
- Develop and maintain internal subject matter expertise on complex areas of federal and state abortion and other relevant restrictions and effectively translates these difficult legal and regulatory issues to diverse internal and external audiences.
- Draft and/or serve as a subject matter expert on public comments from affiliates to state health departments during regulatory hearings/comment periods.
- Create and provide detailed internal guidance, trainings, and tools to assist affiliates with operational readiness when facing TRAP and other abortion restrictions or when seeking to expand services in a state with existing restrictions.
- Draft and/or consult on affiliate waiver applications for facility requirements and manages other licensing processes.
- Regularly partner with Litigation & Law to understand how compliance strategies intersect with any ongoing litigation and policy strategies.
- Review and provide guidance on affiliate CAPS facility grant applications.
- Support Senior Director in project management and execution of long-term, national strategic initiatives to maintain health centers’ ability to continue to provide abortion services across the country in the face of political, legal, and operational threats.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree and JD required. MBA, MPA or MPH, or other relevant experience relating to reproductive rights, public health, or health care operations desirable.
- 2-4 years’ experience related to legal/regulatory research or related TRAP compliance areas and/or health care legislation and associated legal/regulatory experience preferred.
- Excellent skills in writing, public speaking, legislative and legal analysis, and operations analysis.
- Comfort and expertise in review of highly complex healthcare legislation and regulatory processes and the ability to synthesize impact areas for a wide audience.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to recognize and respond to complex problems with potential solutions and possible negotiations in a highly professional, confidential, and sensitive manner.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Excellent customer service orientation.
- Self-motivator with ability to control own schedule and an independent decision maker when needed.
- 10-25% or more
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.