The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) seeks a Benefits Manager to join its Human Resource team. The Benefits Manager is responsible for ensuring execution of benefits administration, the Human Resources component of payroll administration, and compliance within those areas, as well as regulatory reporting and budgeting for these expenses. They will act as the liaison between the Finance Department and Human Resources Department. This role will also assist HR leadership with other projects as assigned.
The Benefits Manager will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. This is an exempt position.
Overview of NWLC
National Women’s Law Center: Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income – and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation.
The Benefits Manager will administer all of NLWC’s benefit programs, including medical, dental, retirement programs, life, disability, FMLA, COBRA, transportation, coordination with the medical and dependent care flexible spending provider, and wellness programs.
• Oversees all activities related to benefits including but not limited to, open enrollment, leave administration, invoice reconciliation, benchmarking activities, carrier connections and feeds, company events, and benefit system administration.
• Introduce and administer approved new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents and other media for communicating plans to employees. Conduct employee meetings and arrange for enrollment. Advise and counsel management and employees on existing benefits.
• Ensure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act, the Affordable Care Act, and Internal Revenue Service regulations by taking actions necessary to cure potential issues prior to their occurrence. Prepare reports required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, and other regulatory agencies. This includes required fee disclosures and Medicare and other notices.
• Review and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits and report necessary or suggested changes to management.
• Handle benefits inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution.
• Supervise maintenance of enrollment and claim records for all benefits plans.
• Prepare annual benefits budget, monitor costs and work with insurance broker to develop cost controls to assure maximum coverage at the least possible cost to company and employees. Monitor variances to budget on an ongoing basis.
• In conjunction with the Center’s 403(b) provider, prepare and provide appropriate disclosures to participants.
• Process loan and severance information with 403(b) provider.
• Track leave under the Family Medical Leave Act.
• Assist in the administration of the workers’ compensation program.
Additionally, this position will support the payroll function by providing support to the payroll process, including assisting employees, as follows.
• Input and maintain employee data in ADP and field questions from Accounting and employees.
• Manage supporting documentation including preparation and maintenance of necessary data, such as tax withholding documentation, direct deposit information, and benefit forms. Process and prepare salary and wage verifications.
• Other payroll duties as assigned.
• The Benefits Manager will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. The Manager will collaborate with the Controller and Finance team members as well as the VP of Finance and Administration. This role also provides direct support to all staff.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following attributes:
• Genuine passion for an understanding of the mission of the National Women’s Law Center and women’s rights issues;
• A bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Accounting or a similar field is required with at least 4 years of benefits administration experience.
• Leadership and industry certifications are a plus.
• Strong experience administering a HRIS and/or benefits administration system; experience in ADP Workforce preferred.
• Thorough understanding and demonstrated experience with legal regulations in all areas of benefits including but not limited to Federal and District of Columbia laws pertaining to health and wellness, leave, and retirement plans, etc.
• Must have strong attention to detail and be able to multitask as well.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and interpret data.
• High degree of professionalism to interact with employees at all levels.
• Strong customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team in a high pace environment.
• Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information.
• Strong communication skills both written and oral.
• Strong command of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel.
Compensation will be both competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume, and list of references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include position title in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of all genders, people of color (including bilingual and bicultural individuals), veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036