Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate, talented, tireless team and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are eagerly seeking interns to contribute to and learn about our work.
Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic. Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths. We tell it like it is and refuse to blame anyone for their breast cancer, because:
· More than a quarter million women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year;
· Black women are 40% more likely to die from the disease and people of color fare worse after a diagnosis;
· Involuntary chemical exposures throughout our lives are linked to increased risk of breast cancer and 90% of breast cancers are not linked to family history or genetic mutations;
· Corporations boost sales with pink ribbon products for awareness, yet fail to take steps to ensure their products don’t increase the risk of breast cancer;
· Pink ribbon culture shifts the burden to patients’ attitude and behavior by insisting we “stay positive” and “fight like a girl.”
Breast Cancer Action is fiercely independent and refuses corporate funding from any company that profits from or contributes to breast cancer, which means we can do the work that other breast cancer organizations don’t.
We are an ambitious organization and successful team members bring big, bold ideas, as well as a relentless determination to get the actual work done. We value diversity and each member of our team brings their own diverse lived experiences along with the depth of their professional expertise to inform and enrich our work together. Our work together is deeply collaborative and driven by our organizational values.
We’re looking for film student (or recent film graduate) to assist in the development of our 30th Anniversary video. Along with experience in filmmaking, we’re looking for someone who is tech-savvy, with a flair for social media to help with general communications duties.
Breast Cancer Action is accepting applications from current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent graduates, who are eager to bring their talents to support our work. In return, Breast Cancer Action will provide opportunities to learn about member outreach and engagement, film development and editing, the politics of breast cancer, and grassroots health activism.
The Communications Planning Intern is an unpaid position and we encourage students to pursue funding opportunities through their schools. This is an on-site position in our San Francisco office during normal business hours. We ask that candidates commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week for a minimum of two months. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue further depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance.
The Communications Intern will report to the Communications Manager and will work closely with the program team. The intern’s main focus will be to assist with the 30th Anniversary video, working with the Communications Manager and our contract videographer on planning, research, scheduling interviews, editing, and other as needed.
Other duties may include:
· Assist with the launch of a new podcast.
· Assist with media monitoring efforts
· Help generate regular posts for Breast Cancer Action’s social media platforms
· Pull and interpret analytics on social media performance
· Copyedit and proofread materials as requested
· Other duties as assigned
· Interest in health justice, social justice, and/or women’s health
· Some film/video experience and interest
· Excellent writing and research skills
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy
· Ability to work effectively both as a team member and independently
· Ability to handle multiple priorities effectively
· Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube)
· Familiarity with graphic design and photo editing software a plus
· Familiarity with WordPress and Salesforce a plus
We are looking for an intern who can start work in early September, 2019. To apply, please send a detailed cover letter, highlighting relevant experience, and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Communications Intern.” No phone calls please. People of color, gender and sexual minorities, and people with a personal experience with cancer are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Breast Cancer Action
Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate, talented, tireless team and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are eagerly seeking interns to contribute to and learn about our work.Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic. Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths.