From July 13-16, 2020, Democrats from all over the country will gather together in the City of Milwaukee to participate in the Democratic National Convention, where we will nominate the next President of the United States. The Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) is assembling a diverse team with skills in community engagement, event logistics, finance, operations, IT, and more under the leadership of Tom Perez, Chair, and Joe Solmonese, Chief Executive Officer. The DNCC team will oversee and deliver on all aspects of the planning and execution of this Convention, from housing the delegates to convening Platform Committee meetings to producing the Convention’s live programming, which will be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world.
Responsibilities include building relationships with local, state, and national reporters, overseeing and responding to incoming media inquiries, and working with other departments to develop, create, and execute quality press events, newsworthy announcements, and other key media opportunities that further the goals of the Convention. This position is within the Communications Department.
The Communications Department is responsible for creating and implementing the communications strategy, messaging, and narrative for the Democratic National Convention. The goals of the Communications Department is to generate enthusiasm and crafting a compelling narrative leading up to the Convention. The Communications Department will accomplish this through working with local and national media, creating a robust digital presence, and engaging with and deploying key surrogates to further the reach of our messaging.
• The Deputy Press Secretary reports to the Director of Media Relations.
• Develop and execute creative earned media rollout strategies for the launch, initial announcements phase, and lead-up to the Convention.
• Create and implement strategic communications plans for constituency media portfolios.
• Serve as a source to members of the media for background information about the Convention.
• Proactively identify opportunities drive the conventions narrative in creative and innovative ways.
• Build strong relationships with local, state, and national media in advance of the Convention.
• Monitor news coverage in real time and flagging items that require rapid response.
• Identify coverage trends and opportunities for potential engagement.
• Create and maintain press lists for local, state and national media.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated experience of working with media, including serving as an on-the-record spokesperson
• An interest in discovering and developing innovative ideas and creative solutions to move messages.
• Experience managing teams and projects and keeping them on track.
• An ability to organize and manage multiple projects and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
• Thorough knowledge of Google Suite Applications, Excel, and WordPress. Experience with Adobe design programs a plus.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Entrepreneurial spirit, strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills, sense of humor and ability to work well on a team.
• Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities.
• Familiarity with media list building and monitoring software.
• Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible.
• Extremely well organized with superior attention to detail.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The DNCC will mainly operate out of the Headquarters Office, but will also maintain a number of satellite offices and additional venues. All of these spaces are professional office environments, and will require the operation of office equipment such as computers, phones, and copy machines. This position mainly uses an assigned workstation but may require movement or maintaining a stationary position for short or long periods of time. Employees may be asked to do tasks requiring dexterity or lifting items weighing up to 10 lbs. All employees may request a reasonable accommodation to perform their job tasks.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 4/1/20
JOB LOCATION: Milwaukee, WI
TRAVEL: This job will require occasional travel—less than 10%.
FLSA ELIGIBILITY: This is an exempt position under the FLSA.
BENEFITS: The DNCC offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, and disability and life insurance.
HOW TO APPLY: Please go to https://www.demconvention.com/jobs to apply through the portal.
The Democratic National Convention Committee Committee (DNCC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that is best able to deliver a Convention that reflects the values and diversity of our Party and Country. The DNCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.