Direct Marketing Assistant Manager [MEMU-23]
American Civil Liberties Union
Development Department, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Having experienced tremendous growth since the election, the ACLU has more than 2.5 million members, activists, and supporters who stand with us nationwide to fight tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s right must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or national origin.
The Development Department of the National office in New York City is seeking applicants for a full-time Direct Marketing Assistant Manager.
The ACLU is experiencing phenomenal growth of all aspects of its fundraising program. We are also in the midst of a major comprehensive fundraising campaign, the most ambitious in the organization’s history, which will run through the ACLU’s 100 year anniversary in 2020. Currently, the national Development Department raises approximately $180 million annually in private support from major donors, foundations, and over 1,200,000 members.
Following the election, we have seen an incredible surge in support that has resulted in phenomenal growth in our direct marketing and monthly giving programs. It is the mandate of our Membership program, which focuses on donors up to $1,000 – and a top priority of the ACLU – to build, engage, and retain this nationwide donor base in order to maximize resources and empower our grassroots advocacy.
The Direct Marketing Manager will report to, and work closely with, the Deputy Director of Membership. This position will manage the development and implementation of direct marketing campaigns, with a focus on canvassing, telemarketing, and special projects.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the development and implementation of direct marketing campaigns, with a focus on canvassing, telemarketing, and special projects.
- Assist with targeting and segmentation.
- Manage, supervise and motivate vendors and consultants; coordinate and conduct regular briefings.
- Work to improve fundraising metrics for target audiences by giving level and channel through refined communications and donor engagement.
- Work across all direct marketing programs to help coordinate multi-channel outreach.
- In conjunction with vendors, develop and manage timelines, keeping to strict schedules.
- Shepherd copy and art, or scripts, through feedback rounds.
- Financial management, including developing and monitoring budgets, tracking campaign expenses, timely invoice approvals.
- Tracking and reporting campaign results.
- Handle other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director of Membership.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office; A personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience working in direct response, fundraising or equivalent.
- Familiarity with direct response operations including program development, creative development, production, and trafficking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to meet firm deadlines and work under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Experience working with and managing internal teams and outside vendors and consultants.
- Experience managing and monitoring budgets.
- Comfortable talking to donors.
- Must have excellent attention to detail, be highly organized, proactive, able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Experience with fundraising databases strongly preferred.
- Experience managing canvassing and or telemarketing campaigns a bonus.
- Must be skilled with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with Access databases is a plus.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume and a relevant writing sample to: hrjobsMEMU@aclu.org – reference [MEMU-23] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:email@example.com. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”