EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for an Eastern Regional Finance Director to join our Development team. EMILY’s List has raised over $500 million to support pro-choice Democratic women candidates – making them one of the most successful political organizations ever. Our grassroots community of over five million members helps Democratic women wage competitive campaigns – and win. We recruit and train candidates, support strong campaigns, research the issues that impact women and families, and turn out women voters. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect 116 women to the House, 23 to the Senate, 12 governors, and over 800 to state and local office. Forty percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Since the 2016 election, thousands of women and counting have reached out to us about running for office. To harness this energy, EMILY’s List has launched Run to Win, an unprecedented effort to help more women run and win at the local, state, and national levels.
The Eastern Regional Finance Director is part of a dynamic team whose principal responsibility is cultivating continued support among existing $5K+ donors and recruiting new supporters at the major gifts level. Candidates should be experienced, innovative fundraisers who can create and implement a fundraising plan for a designated territory. This territory serves the Northeast (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island) and the Mid-Atlantic (Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia and West Virginia). This position is based in the region.
- Cultivate and solicit major gifts from individuals in the region;
- Develop new relationships and build robust prospect pool, as well as retain and upgrade existing donors;
- Use a variety of solicitation tools, including events, meetings, calls, and online communication;
- Maintain strong internal relationships as the individual works with a variety of staff members in the national office, including the Sr. Director of Major Gifts, Vice President of Development, President, and other members of the senior staff as well as peers across the country;
- Play a leadership roll in the planning of the annual We Are EMILY Conference and Gala;
- Plan regular development and fundraising trips for the President and other senior staff as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidates will have a minimum of five years of fundraising experience and direct major donor solicitation, including prospecting and upgrading, and a proven track record securing major gifts. Applicants should be innovative self-starters, able to work independently, as well as with a wide variety of people, demonstrate an ability to prioritize and handle a wide variety of projects and commit to results. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and fundraising databases, ideally Raiser’s Edge, is a plus. Campaign and/or political experience helpful but not required. Travel is expected up to 30% of the time, including regular trips to Washington, DC.
Having an interest in electing pro-choice Democratic women is required, along with a commitment and passion to the diversity of our staff, candidates, membership, and partners.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email resume and cover letter to – subject line including your name and the job title. No calls, please.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.