EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest financial resource for women candidates, is searching for an Email Director to join our Digital team. EMILY’s List has raised over $500 million to support pro-choice Democratic women candidates – making them one of the most successful political organizations ever. Our grassroots community of over five million members helps Democratic women wage competitive campaigns – and win. We recruit and train candidates, support strong campaigns, research the issues that impact women and families, and turn out women voters. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect 116 women to the House, 23 to the Senate, 12 governors, and over 800 to state and local office. Forty percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Since the 2016 election, thousands of women and counting have reached out to us about running for office. To harness this energy, EMILY’s List has launched Run to Win, an unprecedented effort to help more women run and win at the local, state, and national levels.
The Digital department is responsible for engaging and growing the community of people who support EMILY’s List online. The department works closely with the Development, Communications, and Campaigns teams to ensure our online program advances the organization’s fundraising, growth, messaging, and electoral priorities.
The Email Director will be responsible for running our email program — planning, drafting, and executing grassroots email campaigns using fundraising, advocacy, and organizing tactics to engage our community in the fight to elect pro-choice Democratic women candidates.
- Work with the VP of Digital and content team to run our email program—from planning to execution;
- Manage the workflow of email writers/producers;
- Create, populate, and manage the email calendar;
- Draft creative emails based on fundraising and advocacy best practices;
- Peer edit your teammates’ writing;
- Set up emails and email landing pages;
- Proofread and checklist the emails and landing pages set up by your peers;
- Work with the VP of Digital, Deputy Digital Director, and the Digital team to identify opportunities for online growth and engagement across channels;
- Conduct, analyze, and share findings of regular testing to identify the most effective strategies and messages;
- Ensure content on all online properties is up to date and relevant;
- Stay up-to-date on cutting-edge technology and innovation within the field;
- Other projects as assigned.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience contributing to or managing a fundraising-based email program, preferably in a campaign, political, or non-profit organization.
- Expert knowledge of online fundraising and email best practices;
- Strong email writing and editing skills;
- Advanced knowledge in using eCRM technology with a preference for knowledge of BSD tools;
- Adept in writing and editing HTML;
- Management experience preferred;
- Commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff;
- Commitment and passion to elect Pro-Choice Democratic Women.
Candidates for this position must be self-directed, politically savvy, and have a sense of humor. Expert understanding of digital tools, email strategy, online fundraising, and HTML are required.
Candidates should be able to handle multiple projects at once, work well under deadline, and understand that the internet isn’t a 9 to 6 kind of job.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $90,000 depending on experience. To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, subject line “Email Director.” No calls, please.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.