EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for an Executive Director to join our team. We recruit and train candidates, support strong campaigns, research the issues that impact women and families, and turn out women voters. Since our founding in 1985, we have trained nearly 10,000 women to run and helped elect 116 women to the House, 23 to the Senate, 12 governors, and over 800 to state and local office. Forty percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color – including every single Latina, African American, and Asian American Democratic congresswoman currently serving.
The Executive Director is responsible for implementation of policies set by the President and Board of Directors as well as annual goals and objectives. The Executive Director leads EMILY’s List staff in the strategic advancement of recruitment, training, campaign services, and communications towards the election of more pro-choice, Democratic women to office nationwide. The Executive Director is responsible for the financial, program, and administrative management of the organization.
· Responsible for overall leadership of staff in the development and implementation of short and long range plans and policies and other activities;
· Responsible for providing information, advice, and counsel to the President in the creation of policies, programs, and strategic direction of the organization;
· Provide overarching strategic and management support to cross-departmental projects and priorities;
· Assists President in setting goals for, and conducts, strategic planning;
· With COO, responsible for the financial management of the organization, including the development and implementation of the annual budget;
· Responsible for the development, implementation, and accomplishment of the annual work plan of the organization as approved by the President and Board of Directors;
· Develop and oversee national organizational campaigns;
· Responsible for liaison with other political organizations, progressives, and the Democratic party and its committees;
· Provide political and strategic oversight of leadership councils;
· Responsible for support of all activities associated with the Board of Directors, including staffing for all Board and Committee meetings, meeting schedules, locations, development of agenda, and meeting materials;
· Represent EMILY’s List to the press and external stakeholders;
· Responsible for administration of overall operation of the organization, including: reviewing and evaluating the results of program activities, ensuring that continuing contractual obligations are being fulfilled; allocating resources for greater program effectiveness and efficiency; and developing organizational and administrative policies and program objectives for Board consideration;
· Develop and monitor Executive Office budget;
· Provide thought leadership and support of EMILY’s List diversity and inclusion goals and efforts;
· Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies; and interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Knowledge of the principles and techniques of political campaigns, budget process, staff administration, community organization, fiscal and organizational management, principles and practices of marketing and public relations.
Ability to plan, direct and coordinate activities; negotiate and administer contracts; work with vendors, political and progressive entities, community groups and other organizations as necessary; communicate effectively in both written and oral forms; exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsible for supervision of all assigned staff. Responsibilities include interviewing, recommendation for hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing of work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, – subject line “Executive Director.” No calls, please.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.