The Public Interest Network is a family of more than a dozen organizations that employ a full arsenal of time-tested strategies for social change, including organizing, advocacy, research and policy analysis, litigation and socially responsible investing. Together, we stand up to powerful special interests and work on a wide array of issues, from air and water pollution to money in politics to the safety of our food systems to global warming.
For more than 40 years, the members of the network have shared a firm commitment to a model for success—one that embraces tough-minded culture of accountability, and organizing to win measurable results. These results include hundreds of laws, policies and other changes that have protected consumers, preserved the environment, and otherwise made corporations and government more responsive to the public interest. Over the years, our network has also recruited and trained thousands of people, many of whom have moved up to become leaders of our own network or elsewhere in the social change community.
The Grants Department Associate will work with the network’s advocates, organizers, attorneys, executive directors, and development staff to raise funds for a wide array of public interest campaigns and programs. The Grants Administrative Associate will play a key role in our efforts to double our grant and large donor fundraising over the next five years. This additional funding will enable the Public Interest Network to make an even bigger impact on some of the most important problems of our time, as well as recruit and train hundreds more new activists who will work for change for years to come.
Specifically, the Grants Department Associate’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Researching and identifying foundation and donor prospects and helping to maintain the information in our central database;
– Writing grant proposals and promoting the network organizations’ programs and campaigns through written updates and other affinity building activities;
– Working with grantseekers around the country by training staff to be effective grantseekers, editing grant proposals and updates, acting as a general clearinghouse for advice and information on funding strategy and the funding community, and working with the network’s management team to ensure as a movement we meet our goals; and
– Building the movement by recruiting staff for the network’s organizations, and supporting priority network programs and projects — from training entry level staff to phone banking to helping with events.
A key part of the Public Interest Network’s mission is to train leaders who are capable of organizing and winning results for the public interest. The Grants Department Associate will receive hands-on training throughout the year from grants department staff as well as participate in a classroom training program to develop the knowledge and skills he/she needs to manage a variety of Public Interest Network campaigns in the community. Each training will include an overview of the network’s history and past campaigns, briefings on current campaign issues and strategies, and skills development workshops to hone organizing and leadership skills.
Los Angeles, CA
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of political organizing. We’re also looking for candidates that are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement.
Additionally, top candidates will:
– Have a bachelor’s degree and at least two years of relevant experience. Experience in fundraising and/or writing with a public interest advocacy organization or on political campaigns also is preferred, but not required;
– Have exceptional expository writing and verbal persuasion skills, with the ability to translate complex campaigns and programs into targeted fundraising requests;
– Have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
– Be flexible, embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic;
– Be detail oriented, deadline driven, highly-organized, and have excellent project management skills;
– Have strong computer skills. Previous experience with Microsoft Access is preferred, but training will be provided
– Have demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in solving problems;
– Like, and be excellent at, working with people, but be comfortable behind the scenes; and
– Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
The Grants Department Associate position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package, including paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days. Eligible staff may join our group health insurance plan and will have the opportunity to enroll in our college loan assistance and 401(k) program. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Visit www.publicinterestnetwork.org/page/pin/apply and fill out the online form. If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week. Note: all finalists also will be required to complete a writing and editing test.
The Public Interest Network is a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Visit http://www.publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about the network before you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status. The Public Interest Network will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.