Job Title: Legal Assistant, U.S. Legal Program
Department: U.S. Legal Program
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 150 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $29 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Center seeks a Legal Assistant in the United States Legal Program. The Legal Assistant will support the work of attorneys and other professionals, as assigned.
This position will be based in New York City.
The Legal Assistant’s main responsibilities will include:
- Assisting attorneys on the US litigation team and counsel supporting ART (Assisted Reproductive Technologies) in fulfilling their job responsibilities;
- Maintaining litigation and other files;
- Preparing legal and other documents;
- Assisting with legal and factual research;
- Maintaining supervisor’s schedules and coordinating their travel;
- Handling administrative tasks including reimbursement requests, tracking workload, updating internal reporting documents;
- Maintaining contact database;
- Implementing logistics for meetings and events; and
- Executing other tasks upon request.
- B.A. degree is required;
- Office experience required and legal office experience preferred;
- A “can-do” and “will-do” attitude, with the ability to effectively respond to high-pressure situations in a flexible and professional manner;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong research, writing and communication skills;
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- A commitment to women’s reproductive rights;
- General knowledge of women’s rights issues in the United States is desirable; and
- Familiarity with the United States legal system and experience working on legal issues would be a plus.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this role. It is encouraged to include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.