A dynamic leader who will help us find, support, and develop our greatest resource: our people.
About the Position
At Namati, our people are our greatest resource. Our team of more than 150 big-hearted advocates is spread across six country offices and remote locations around the world, representing different languages, customs, legal systems, and operating environments. And yet we are united—through our unyielding commitment to our mission and through a core of deeply held common values (see our cultural principles here.)
Over the past few years, we’ve built out an early-stage People function—a team effort between several colleagues who work at the nexus of people, operations and systems. As we’ve grown in both size and impact, we’re now searching for a new Manager, People and Culture who will partner with the COO and CFO to design and implement global people systems and programs, from global talent acquisition, and people management, to culture and engagement, and global compensation and benefits.
The right person will take care to understand what makes Namati unique and thoughtfully translate our mission and values into people programs tailored to our complex, multi-country operating reality. We’re looking for someone with a solid understanding of human resources (HR) standards and best practices, combined with a willingness to challenge conventional HR thinking in service of finding unique solutions. Someone who will help us build systems that reflect each country’s context but also promote equity and consistency across the global organization. Someone who will care deeply for our people, advocate for their interests, and help them grow with the organization.
More than anything, we’re looking for someone who feels a deep resonance with our mission to bring justice everywhere and who will be organized and relentless in building and supporting the team that brings this mission to life.
Our Manager, People and Culture will be responsible for the following-
Global people systems
- Create accessible HR policies and procedures that are up-to-date, in line with local law, and that build and improve Namati’s organizational culture
- Help each of Namati’s country offices to administer human resources optimally for their context and team composition
- Partner with the COO and CFO to build and rollout thoughtful people systems (e.g. compensation and benefits) across Namati’s operating locales that are rooted in local law and context but are systematic and equitable across the organization
- Work with our global operations and systems teams to iterate on team-wide communication and workflows
Talent acquisition, onboarding, and development
- Oversee global talent acquisition systems, including ensuring that we uphold not only our high standards in our evaluations but also ensure a positive, empowering candidate experience
- Work with People Operations Officer and hiring managers to map new positions, including setting salary ranges, crafting job descriptions, and creating exercises. Run full-cycle hiring processes as needed, from sourcing candidates to conducting interviews to preparing offers
- Oversee global orientation and onboarding systems
- Oversee and provide guidance for Namati’s Fellowship, Internship, and Volunteer program
Administration and compliance
- Design and help administer a full suite of benefits for Namati’s US staff
- Serve as the primary employee relations contact for Namati’s US entity, and support others working in a similar capacity on their own teams around the world
- Work with the CFO and country teams to ensure compliance in all operating countries
- Support the global conversation around the safety and security of our people
Management, culture, and engagement
- Help develop Namati’s management culture and practices
- Design and roll-out organizational performance management systems and employee engagement initiatives
- Consider and craft initiatives to facilitate staff learning and development
- Work with the COO and country team leads to examine how we can do even better to live our values of empowerment, collaboration, and solidarity
Here’s some things you might have tackled last month in this role:
- Held a new position intake call with Namati’s Environmental Justice Program Director and People Operations Officer for an upcoming role in India—helped draft the job description, worked with the CFO to benchmark and propose the salary range for the role, and strategized the optimal hiring workflow
- Designed, sent out, and tracked responses for the latest Namati engagement pulse survey to understand the current experience of our staff around the globe
- Partnered with the Director of Global Learning and Practice and CFO to craft and send out an employment offer to a finalist candidate for a new, DC-based research position
- Helped the Kenya Head of Office to develop a request for proposals (RFP) for new potential old age coverage providers as part of the organization’s global core benefits offerings
- Partnered with the Deputy Director of Operations to consider and craft a set of policies and initiatives to protect our frontline advocates from harm
- Reviewed feedback on our annual review process and made recommendations to improve the process for both staff and managers next year
- Reported last quarter’s progress against the people operations team’s annual goals to the COO
- Had a one-on-one call with each Namati people manager to ensure they understand how to conduct their staff members’ upcoming annual performance reviews
- Researched and reflected on what diversity and inclusion might mean at an organization as globally disparate as ours and raised some ideas with our COO on how to bring it to life
- Researched and selected a vendor for a new flexible spending account (FSA) benefit for our US staff
- Researched the New York City and State requirements for providing sexual harassment trainings and worked with Namati’s retained counsel to make a plan to ensure Namati’s people and the organization as a whole are protected
About You/Must-Haves for the Position
Experience in human resources in multiple country settings. You have at least five years’ experience (and maybe more!) working in an HR/people operations capacity across different country environments. We’d particularly value experience and expertise in systems design that spanned multiple contexts.
A people-focused, modern outlook on HR. You’re excited to study and learn from the best of the best and newest of the new and help Namati bolster our unique approach to people operations. You believe in the power of HR to not just protect the organization and people but to help deepen our impact.
Empowering leader and people manager. You’re committed to being a great manager for your direct reports, and you’re well-equipped to help Namati foster an empowering management culture.
Collaborative and service-oriented. You greet everyone you encounter with a collaborative spirit, kindness, and empathy. This role in particular requires active relationship-building; it’s essential that the people team works in close collaboration with representatives from all across Namati, empowers them, and remains responsive to their unique needs and cultures.
Growth-oriented. You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else. You’ll also help us all get better at sharing and receiving feedback across the organization, to ensure everyone is learning and growing in their roles.
Namati is dedicated to placing the power of law in the hands of people.
For billions of people around the world, the law is broken. It’s an abstraction—or worse, a threat—but not something they can use to exercise their basic rights.
Namati is building a global movement of community paralegals who empower people to understand, use, and shape the law. These “barefoot lawyers” form a dynamic, creative frontline that can squeeze justice out of even broken systems.
In the past four years, Namati and our partners have worked with over 65,000 clients to take on some of the greatest challenges of our times: protecting community lands, enforcing environmental law, and securing basic rights to healthcare and citizenship.
We track data on every case and use that information to advocate for systemic changes, like better policies for land governance in Liberia, environmental regulation in India, and healthcare delivery in Mozambique.
And we’re joining forces for change. Namati convenes the Global Legal Empowerment Network—over 1,800 groups and 6,500 individuals from 168 countries learning from one another and bringing justice to communities in every part of the world.
For more about what it’s like to work at Namati, please see our Cultural Principles.
Namati’s Washington, DC office. Please note you must already be legally eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this position.
Title and structure
This position will report to Namati’s COO. Close collaborators will include Namati’s Global Ops and Systems teams, CFO, leadership team, and country staff with HR responsibilities.
Compensation & benefits
The salary range for this position is roughly $74,000-84,000, commensurate with experience. Please note that we rarely start candidates in the top half of the range.
Namati offers an excellent benefits package, which includes-
- Health insurance- Namati pays 80% of the base plan premium for individuals, and 50% for dependents
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation (increases to 4 weeks after two years of service), 12 sick days, 11 federal holidays (plus the week between Christmas and New Years), 3 personal days, 6 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k)- Namati contributes 5% of your salary plus matches your contribution up to an additional 5%
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking (Washington DC metro area)
- Access to professional development opportunities
Please complete our online application form. While applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, we encourage you to apply before December 9th.
No phone calls, please.
Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.