Job Title: Manager, Storytelling Initiatives
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 130 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $29 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Manager, Storytelling Initiatives reports to the Senior Director of Communications and will work closely with U.S., Global, and other key program staff. In this new role, the Manager, Storytelling Initiatives will lead story development and collection, training, and support for advocacy, marketing and communications campaigns, media opportunities, and a broad cross-section of programmatic initiatives. S/he will work in collaboration with the overall Center, Communications team, U.S. Program, Global Legal Program, and external organizations and individuals.
This position will be based in New York City.
The Manager, Storytelling Initiatives primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build strong relationships with, and explore collaboration with, storytelling organizations and individuals
- Develop institutional model for working with storytellers across programs
- Educate others about storytelling strategies as a component of legal, constitutional and policy advocacy, and elevate CRR as leader in this space
- Guide thinking and implementation on incorporating storytelling into all Center channels
- Create and execute storytelling campaigns
- Work with communications and program staff to develop content from storytellers; assist with field relevant media requests for storytellers
- Monitor press, blogs, etc. for stories and follow-up with storytellers to maintain relationships or explore collaboration when appropriate
- Travel as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Advanced degree in communications, journalism or related field highly preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience with management of multi-disciplinary U.S. and international communications;
- Successful track record of developing and leading communications strategies and campaigns in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment;
- Deep experience and understanding of storytelling fundamentals (effective character, narrative, trajectory, hook, authenticity, details)
- Keen sense of newsworthiness
- Stellar writing skills; understanding of newswriting techniques
- Superb interview skills
- Successful track record in developing rapport/trust with partners and individuals
- Visual, audio and video content creation experience
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, problem-solving, and mentoring skills, and a calm, diplomatic demeanor’even in times of intense pressure;
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively;
- Proficiency with project management tools; experience with Asana a plus;
- Extremely sharp organizational skills and ability to manage large volumes of projects, tasks, and files;
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced environment with a wide variety of strong personalities; sense of humor;
- Ability to travel within and outside the U.S. as needed.
- Deep dedication to the Center’s mission, values, and strategic objectives.
Critical Position Qualities:
- Strategic Thinker: The ability to apply big picture and long-term thinking to problem-solving and decision-making;
- Decisiveness: Consistently makes sound decisions in a timely manner supportive of the Center’s mission, core values, and strategic objectives;
- Innovative: Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive, with a focus on excellence in a high energy, fast moving, deadline orientated environment;
- Accountability: Holds themselves and others accountable;
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members;
- Commitment to Learning: Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve;
- Collaborative: Willingness to invite and listen to different views and opinions across all levels of the institution;
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center’s high standards and mission.
- Adaptive/Flexibility: Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations and with various individuals and groups. Understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change. “Out of the box” thinking is a plus.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for Applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.