The Public Interest Network (TPIN) is hiring an experienced media strategist to be our Media Communications Director. We need someone who gets our vision for the country and who wants to play a big role in making change happen. The Director will convey our messaging and sustain our reputation as a leader in the public interest and environmental campaign movement by creating and launching media campaigns to highlight our victories in areas like stopping global warming, getting antibiotics out of our meat supply, and ending childhood hunger.
For more than 40 years, organizations in The Public Interest Network have been taking on powerful interests on behalf of the American public, working to win concrete results for our health and well-being. We need someone who has great judgment, a vision for change, and who can execute creative strategies to get our message out to the media and to the public. We welcome applicants with experience in media relations, particularly in politics or with nonprofits.
• Manage message and press outreach to advance our myriad national advocacy campaigns on issues like tax fairness, clean energy, clean water, and corporate influence on our government.
• Use our state branded organizations to build our national brands, and vice versa.
• Conduct media campaigns to highlight recent campaign victories in our brand and amongst our network partners. Engineer rapid response to opportunities, and use those opportunities to inject our members’ voices into important debates.
• Help maintain and develop The Public Interest Network’s brand strategy. Ensure consistency in our messaging and communicating that we stand for concrete victories, for people power, and for a common-sense approach to problems.
• Act as an eloquent and witty face for our organization in TV, print, radio, and digital outlets.
• Develop publications such as media releases, internal announcements, video, and special projects.
• Good marketing sense: you’re great at coming up with messages, slogans, and tactics that draw attention to our policies.
• Excellent writing skills: you’re good at writing both for press and for general audiences. Your writing should be concise, sharp, personable, and memorable.
• Strong self-starter, entrepreneurial: you don’t need someone to tell you what to do.
• Strong judgment: you know what kinds of tactics and campaigns will attract local and national press attention, with a good sense for what gimmicks will not work.
• Excellent political and strategy judgment: you’re good at seeing the path to victory.
• Low ego and a high focus on getting important work done.
• Hard worker: you can manage your time independently. You know that making a difference doesn’t always happen between 9 and 5.
Preferred (but not required) skills:
• Experience with organizing: you know how to work with volunteers and canvassers to make change happen.
• Management experience: you’re good with people, and good at focusing a team.
• Experience with online politics and technology.
• Experience in political advocacy.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
Washington, DC; Denver, CO; or Boston, MA.
Please apply using our online application: http://publicinterestnetwork.org. Attach your resume and cover letter in .pdf form, and address your cover letters to Faye Park, TPIN Chief of Staff.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.