For fifty years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion. Powered by more than 2.5 million members from all 50 states and a network of state affiliates, NARAL Pro-Choice America represents the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when and how to raise a family. This means we’re on the front lines in the fight to expand access to abortion, make contraception more affordable, prohibit discrimination against pregnant women, and ensure all parents have access to paid leave. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
At NARAL, we don’t operate or litigate; we organize and mobilize. Working together, we push our friends to be bolder, lift up the champions fighting with us on the front line for true reproductive freedom, and we shine a spotlight of accountability on bad actors that work to impose their ideological agenda on others.
This Position is: Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time, Salary Employee
Salary range: $90K – $142K
As a senior leader at the organization, the National Political Director will work in close collaboration with other department directors, including the government relations, campaigns, communications, research and executive teams, to advance our mission of advancing reproductive freedom.
The National Political Director will be responsible for developing and executing NARAL’s electoral work at the national and – in coordination with NARAL chapter and affiliate network – state level. This will include, but is not limited to, collaborations with key national allies, partnerships with state allies, political parties and campaigns and candidates. The Political Director will also be responsible for growing NARAL’s political profile and network.
A successful candidate will have experience in developing and executing electoral strategy, the vision to drive NARAL’s bold and strategic political profile, and the demonstrated experience to maintain and grow NARAL’s political power and achieve electoral victories. We seek candidates for this role who demonstrate passion for our (and related) issues; can demonstrate successfully operating in highly collaborative work environments with national staff and affiliates; can balance leading the strategic growth of political power with the daily decisions about how to deploy power; and will take pleasure in supporting and managing two other staff members.
The National Political Director will guide NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC’s involvement in federal races and work in partnership with regional staff on state and local races; spearhead political outreach to elected officials, candidates and allies at the federal and state levels to assist champions and shepherd a race to the top on reproductive freedom; direct the electoral programs of the organization; and deepen individual and organizational relationships to promote alliances for the purpose of achieving our mission.
Work with senior leadership to drive NARAL’s political and electoral goals for the 2020 cycle.
- Lead and manage all aspects of the overall electoral programs and activities of NARAL, including managing budgets, evaluating effectiveness, setting the overall goals with plans, targets and timelines.
- In coordination with the Campaigns, Organizing, and Government Relations teams, advance the organization’s mission through a comprehensive strategy that links electoral organizing to grassroots base-building and issue work at both the grassroots and national levels.
- Collaborate with the development team to represent NARAL’s political strategy with donors both one on one and in small group settings, provide material for proposals and reports as needed.
- Collaborate with the communications team to ensure strong message discipline among candidates and committees as well as increase visibility for NARAL’s political work and priorities. This includes serving as an organizational spokesperson upon request and representing NARAL in high level speaking engagements as needed.
- Work with campaigns and the party committees to advance our political and communications goals.
- Regular travel throughout the country to work with partner organizations and allies.
- Manage, supervise, develop and evaluate staff.
- Serve as principle staff liaison to the national political community and sustain NARAL Pro-Choice America as a leader in election related coalitions.
At least seven years experience of effective political organizing, strategy and implementation.
At least seven years of quality management experience, including fundraising, preparation of budgets, and supervision of staff.
Extensive effective electoral campaign experience and demonstrable knowledge of electoral politics.
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and in coalitions.
Experience working with membership organizations and an inherent understanding of how to interact with and engage members.
Deep attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position submit a cover letter and resume to:
Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.