Gainesville Florida Police Department
The Gainesville, Florida Police Department is currently recruiting qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds who are representative of our community and possess integrity, honesty, and a commitment to serve the citizens of Gainesville.
Periodic testing will be held for both Certified and Non-Certified Police Officers (inclusive of military police, federal, in state, / out of state and persons currently enrolled in a Florida Police Academy). Please visit the City of Gainesville’s Employment page often, as our testing processes and venues are subject to change.
Click Apply for Available Positions to submit your initial application. Then, go to Background Formsand thoroughly complete the Background Data Packet, Background Waiver, and Physician Recommendation forms. Selected candidates will be informed, soon after the closing date, where to mail their background forms along with a (to be determined) postmark date. Background forms mailed after the pending postmarked date will not be accepted. Adobe Acrobat Readeris required to view these files.
The Gainesville Police Department is a progressive police agency which offers a vast array of opportunities for career development. After completion of the Field Training Program, you will normally be assigned to uniformed patrol duties where career development begins. Depending upon experience, education, training, and departmental needs, you may be eligible to compete for vacancies in the specialty units.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements in order to apply for a police officer position:
– Must be at least 21 years of age
– Must be a United States citizen
– Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license at time of employment
– Military Discharge: Must possess proof of honorable discharge if applicant served in the U.S. Armed Forces
– Must meet one of the following criteria:
a.) an Associate degree or a minimum of sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college or university;
b.) a minimum of thirty (30) semester hours from an accredited college or university and four (4) years active duty military service;
c.) a minimum of thirty (30) semester hours from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of certified criminal justice related operational work experience with a municipal, county, state, or federal law enforcement agency;
2. A minimum of thirty (30) semester hours from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of military, Federal, or out of state law enforcement experience; or
3. A minimum of thirty (30) semester hours from an accredited college or university and eighteen (18) months experience as a Florida law enforcement officer.
Certain scheduled employment process dates may be restricted to specific eligibility requirements.
- Use, possession, or cultivation of any illegal controlled substance within three years from testing date.
- Any felony conviction or any conviction in another state that would be considered a felony in Florida.
- Any conviction of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, false statements, perjury, or domestic violence.
Ofc. Louie Acevedo
Recruiter / Polygraph Examiner
Gainesville Police Department
Bureau of Professional Standards
545 NW 8th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32601
(352) 393-7533 (desk)
(352) 339-6025 (wk. cell)