Full-time Position Available: Policy Assistant at the National Network to End Domestic Violence
The National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) seeks a highly-organized and motivated Policy Assistant. The ideal candidate communicates effectively and is able to prioritize and perform duties in a fast-paced environment. NNEDV is a social change organization dedicated to creating a social, political and economic environment in which violence against women no longer exists.
The Public Policy team works proactively on Capitol Hill to make ending domestic violence a national priority. NNEDV’s members are state and territorial coalitions representing domestic violence shelters and programs in every state and territory in the nation. NNEDV ensures these voices and the voice of survivors are represented at the federal level. Each year, the Policy team oversees the National Census of Domestic Violence Services (Census) provided by local domestic violence programs, in which we survey thousands of local programs each September to provide a one-day snapshot of the services provided to victims throughout the nation and to document unmet requests for services. This nationwide census is a key policy tool at both the state and national levels.
The Policy Assistant will be a core member of the Public Policy team, helping to implement NNEDV’s policy priorities in a multitude of ways, including coordinating the annual Advocacy Day conference and managing the Census process. This candidate will be highly organized and effective at functioning both independently and as a member of a team. The ideal candidate will also possess a positive attitude and take initiative in solving problems.
• Monitoring federal legislation, drafting updates to members, and drafting materials (such as factsheets/memos/PowerPoint slides).
• Drafting legislative updates, hearing notes, and event memos.
• Monitoring listservs to track policy conversations, summarizing discussions, and responding to requests for information and assistance.
• Creating and updating action alerts through NNEDV’s advocacy platform, emails, and social media.
• Updating sections of NNEDV’s website related to policy initiatives.
• Managing team webinars and conference calls.
• Assisting with hotel procurement, materials creation, speaker arrangements, and conference follow-up for the Advocacy Day conference.
• Scheduling and providing logistical support for advocacy meetings.
• Managing administrative tasks, including meeting notes, financial submissions, and other internal documentation.
• Monitoring Census survey responses, communicating with Census contacts, and managing the Census inbox.
• Recognizing and correcting survey duplicates, submission errors, outliers and incomplete data
• Utilizing strong communication skills to explain, interpret, and summarize new and existing information.
• Additional duties as assigned
A successful applicant MUST have:
• Commitment to the organization’s mission.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Minimum of one year of public policy experience required
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Excellent writing, editing skills and proofreading skills, including a strong grasp of grammar, punctuation, and copy editing.
• Strong research and critical thinking skills
• Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office (particularly Excel and Word) and online content management systems.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience with a nonprofit agency in a relevant area.
Helpful but not required:
Familiarity with online advocacy platforms, Survey Monkey, and graphic design programs
Thomas Circle, Washington, D.C.
Please combine the following into a single PDF and email (no mail or faxes please) the below items to: PolicyJob@nnedv.org
(a) cover letter (please also put this in the body of your email)
(c) salary expectations.
Anticipated Salary Range, based on qualifications and experience:
$45,000 to $50,000
NNEDV pays the entire cost for each employee’s Health, Dental, Life, and Short and Long Term Disability Insurances. NNEDV contributes 3% to each employee’s 401k retirement plan (no match required). NNEDV also provides 17 paid holidays (including the last full week of every year), 15 days of annual leave, and 10 days of sick leave each year. NNEDV also offers vision insurance at a nominal cost.
NNEDV is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply and we encourage your application to join our highly accomplished team!