Research Coordinator (State and Local)
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Research Coordinator (State and Local) to join our Research team. EMILY’s List has raised over $600 million to elect pro-choice Democratic women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY’s List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect 150 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and nearly 1,100 women to state and local office. Nearly 40 percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. During the historic 2017-2018 cycle, EMILY’s List raised a record-breaking $110 million and launched a record independent expenditure campaign. We helped elect 34 new women to the House, including 24 red-to-blue victories; enough seats to have delivered the U.S. House majority alone. Since the 2016 election, more than 46,000 women have reached out to EMILY’s List about running for office laying the groundwork for the next decade of candidates for local, state and national offices.
The Research Coordinator (State and Local) helps to elect pro-choice Democratic women by: presenting compelling evidence of the impact Democratic women have on building a sustainable, progressive America; providing critical information and insight on individual races and electoral trends; and ensuring that EMILY’s List operates at all times at the highest levels of accuracy. The Research Coordinator’s primary responsibilities will be to aid in long-term as well as rapid response projects primarily for the state and local team and other races on an as-needed basis.
● Lead and organize large-scale vetting operations;
● Write and edit rapid-response style candidate policy research, emphasizing timeliness, accuracy and style;
● Work directly with the Campaigns and Communications teams to identify, prioritize, conduct, and implement research projects;
● Examine policy issues, legislation, campaign finance filings, and other public records;
● Complete rapid response assignments, track legislation, and fulfill internal research requests;
● Coordinate intern workflow and edit their work;
● Assist research team members as needed;
● Monitor in-state news and legislation to distribute to staff and proactively contribute to messaging response;
● Serve as lunch hour back-up and break relief for front desk as needed;
● Perform other duties as assigned, including fact-checking and copy-editing needs when necessary and larger Research Department assignments.
● 1-3 years’ experience in a political campaign research capacity;
● Experience in electoral politics, preferably in a research environment;
● Previous use of and skilled in Nexis, campaign finance databases;
● Voracious appetite for current events;
● Excellent research skills and attention to detail, precision, organization;
● Strong writing and grammar skills;
● Ability to write, edit, and fact-check with precision and calm during high-volume, fast-paced periods;
● Communicative and able to interact with staffers;
● Campaign or political experience preferred; commitment to women’s leadership and impact on women and families a must;
● Experience using federal and state government databases and other data sources;
● Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, and other programs to track and present data effectively a plus;
● Proactive, creative self-starter with a hunger to expand the EMILY’s List community, win elections, and build a sustainable, progressive America;
● Commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff;
● Commitment and passion to elect pro-Choice Democratic Women.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email resume and cover letter to – subject line including your name and the job title. No calls, please.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.