The senior counsel will work to promote equal opportunities for women and girls in school, with a particular focus on girls of color and LGBTQ students. Using a variety of legal and advocacy strategies, the senior counsel will address obstacles to educational success faced by women and girls, including student sexual harassment and violence, disproportionate discipline that drives girls from school, and discrimination against pregnant and parenting students. From time to time, the senior counsel will work on issues as they arise, potentially including equity in athletics, career and technical education, or other issues affecting women and girls in education or in the workplace.
· Engage in federal advocacy on issues affecting women and girls before Congress and relevant administrative agencies;
· Build coalitions and partnerships to identify and advance policy goals;
· Research and analyze policy and legal issues and draft a variety of written materials;
· Represent clients in negotiations and litigation addressing issues of educational equity;
· Manage staff on the education team and supervise cross-cutting projects using project management strategies;
· Seek to advance progressive state and local policies;
· Help shape program strategies and priorities;
· Monitor legal trends in the Supreme Court and lower courts;
· Represent the Center in the press and in public speaking opportunities.