State and Local Campaign Finance Advisor – Midwest
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a State and Local Campaign Finance Advisor – Midwest to join our Campaigns team. EMILY’s List has raised over $600 million to elect pro-choice Democratic women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY’s List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect 150 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and nearly 1,100 women to state and local office. Nearly 40 percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. During the historic 2017-2018 cycle, EMILY’s List raised a record-breaking $110 million and launched a record independent expenditure campaign. We helped elect 34 new women to the House, including 24 red-to-blue victories; enough seats to have delivered the U.S. House majority alone. Since the 2016 election, more than 46,000 women have reached out to EMILY’s List about running for office laying the groundwork for the next decade of candidates for local, state and national offices.
The State and Local Campaigns team focuses on down ballot statewide races, state legislative races and some local races throughout the country. The team is also responsible for building and sustaining a pipeline of pro-choice Democratic women.
As a member of the Campaigns Department, the Campaign Finance Advisor assesses the fundraising and campaign operations of down ballot constitutional, state legislative, and some key local races in their assigned region of the country. Principal responsibilities include developing and training candidates on all aspects of fundraising; working in tandem with the Regional Director to guide campaigns through the course of assessment and endorsement, and assisting with the EMILY’s List fundraising training program.
The Campaign Finance Advisor continuously evaluates campaigns throughout the cycle and where needed, provides strategic assistance to the fundraising operations of endorsed candidates.
This position will cover targeted races in assigned states in the Midwestern United States.
This is a cycle position with an end date of December 31, 2020.
This position is an integral part of the regional team helping drive strategy, planning, staffing and other crucial components of campaigns. They are responsible for:
● Working with, developing and training candidates on all aspects of fundraising;
● Recruiting, training and identifying qualified and well-suited finance directors and other fundraising staff in partnership with campaign leadership and when necessary, key partners;
● Working with candidates and staff to write fundraising plans using foundational tools and raise strategies with measurable goals; and
● Assist in building an operation and process that is effective and meets the fundraising and budgetary goals of the plan;
● Tracking cash flow, progress to goal, and other measurements of progress in fundraising operations; and
● Utilizing EMILY’s List database software and tracking systems to maintain records across region
● Working with candidates and staff to establish strong call time programs, including tracking systems, script development and call time observation;
● Working with staff and candidates on the ground to identify and use a database for maintaining campaign fundraising records;
● Assisting with writing effective fundraising solicitation and re-solicitation mail and email that are in compliance with all state finance laws with the campaign staff as needed;
● Helping screen and advise campaigns on fundraising consultants, contracts and relationships;
● In tandem with Regional Directors, building and maintaining working relationships with appropriate staff in the caucuses and other key partners in state, including planning and conducting finance trainings as necessary;
● Identifying innovative tools and strategies for effective and efficient campaign fundraising;
● Developing an intimate understanding of campaign finance laws state to state, locality to locality as necessary with program priorities;
● Collaborating with the Run to Win Department to present fundraising best practices to the Run to Win Community;
The State and Local Finance Advisors must be self-starters with a minimum of two cycles of campaign fundraising experience.
● Candidates must have progressed by serving as Finance Director on at least one campaign, with three overall cycles of campaign experience preferred.
● Must have experience in writing and executing a strategic finance plan which includes principal call time, events and digital solicitation
● Must have experience with principal management
● Must have experience in managing donor research programs and expanding new donor networks
● Must have event planning experience
● Must be results-oriented, possess excellent communication skills, impeccable attention to detail, adaptability, a sense of humor
● Must have experience developing and implementing internal tracking and compliance systems and have a fundamental knowledge of state election laws.
● Must have extensive Excel skills, familiarity with NGP Software; and a commitment to electing pro-choice Democratic women.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org – subject line including your name and the job title. No calls, please.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.