Campaign Finance Advisor
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Campaign Finance Advisor to join our State and Local Campaigns team. EMILY’s List has raised over $600 million to elect pro-choice Democratic women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY’s List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect 150 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and nearly 1,100 women to state and local office. Nearly 40 percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. During the historic 2017-2018 cycle, EMILY’s List raised a record-breaking $110 million dollars and launched a record independent expenditure campaign. We helped elect 34 new women to the House, including 24 red-to-blue victories; enough seats to have delivered the U.S. House majority alone. Since the 2016 election, more than 40,000 women have reached out to EMILY’s List about running for office laying the groundwork for the next decade of candidates for local, state and national offices.
As a member of the State and Local Campaigns Department, the Campaign Finance Advisor assesses the fundraising and campaign operations of down ballot constitutional, state legislative, and some key local races in their assigned region of the country. Principal responsibilities include developing and training candidates on all aspects of fundraising; working in tandem with the Regional Director to guide campaigns through the course of assessment and endorsement and assisting with the EMILY’s List fundraising staff training program.
The Campaign Finance Advisor continuously evaluates campaigns throughout the cycle and where needed, provides strategic assistance to the fundraising operations of endorsed candidates. They will be a crucial part of the team to help continue to identify new ways to help women and be a collaborator across teams and departments. This position also serves a lead trainer for advanced fundraising trainings.
This position will cover targeted races in the Western part of the country.
This position is an integral part of the regional team helping drive strategy, planning, staffing and other crucial components of campaigns. They are responsible for:
● Working with candidates, campaign managers and finance directors to develop and assess overall campaign budgets in conjunction with the Regional Director;
● Working with, developing and training candidates on all aspects of fundraising;
● Recruiting, training and identifying qualified and well-suited finance directors and other fundraising staff in partnership with campaign leadership and when necessary, key partners;
● Working with candidates and staff to write fundraising plans using foundational tools and strategies with measurable goals;
● Assist in building an operation and process that is effective and meets the fundraising and budgetary goals of the plan;
● Tracking cash flow, progress to goal, and other measurements of progress in fundraising operations;
● Utilize EMILY’s List database software and tracking systems to maintain records across region;
● Working with candidates and staff to establish strong call time programs, including tracking systems, script development and call time observation;
● Setting up databases with candidates and staff for maintaining campaign fundraising records;
● Coaching staff to write effective fundraising solicitation and re-solicitation mail and email that are in compliance with all state finance laws with the campaign staff as needed;
● Helping advise campaigns on hiring fundraising consultants, setting up contracts and other related business aspects of the fundraising operation;
● In tandem with Regional Directors, building and maintaining working relationships with appropriate staff in the caucuses and other key partners in state, including conducting finance trainings as necessary;
● Identifying innovative tools and strategies for effective and efficient campaign fundraising;
● Developing an intimate understanding of campaign finance laws state to state, locality to locality as necessary with the program priorities;
● Collaborating with the Run to Win Department to present fundraising best practices to the Run to Win Community;
● Assist with and in cases help lead with the EMILY’s List fundraising training program, including training and curriculum development;
● Performing other duties as assigned.
The State and Local Finance Advisors must be self-starters with a minimum of two cycles of campaign fundraising experience.
● Candidates must have progressed by serving as Finance Director on at least one campaign, with three overall cycles of campaign experience preferred.
● Must have experience in writing and executing a strategic finance plan which includes principal call time, events and digital solicitation
● Experience with principal management preferred
● Experience in managing donor research programs and expanding new donor networks preferred
● Fundraising event planning experience preferred
● Must be results-oriented, possess excellent communication skills, impeccable attention to detail, adaptability, a sense of humor, and have a fundamental knowledge of state election laws
● Must have extensive Excel skills and familiarity with NGP Software
● Candidates must have a commitment to electing pro-choice Democratic women as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
The Campaign Finance Advisor must be willing to travel extensively. This position includes multiple states in the Western United States.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org – subject line including your name and the job title. No calls, please.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.