State and Local Regional Director
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a State and Local Regional Director, Midwest-West States to join our Campaigns team. EMILY’s List has raised over $600 million to elect pro-choice Democratic women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY’s List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect 150 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and nearly 1,100 women to state and local office. Nearly 40 percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. During the historic 2017-2018 cycle, EMILY’s List raised a record-breaking $110 million dollars and launched a record independent expenditure campaign. We helped elect 34 new women to the House, including 24 red-to-blue victories; enough seats to have delivered the U.S. House majority alone. Since the 2016 election, more than 46,000 women have reached out to EMILY’s List about running for office laying the groundwork for the next decade of candidates for local, state and national offices.
The EMILY’s List State & Local Regional Director is a senior position within the Campaigns Department. The State & Local Regional Director oversees the efforts of EMILY’s List state and local work in their assigned region of the country. Principal responsibilities include determining state-based and down ballot strategy, recruiting, training, and assessing campaign strategies for pro-choice Democratic women who are running for constitutional, state legislative, and some key local offices.
● Identify and recruit women candidates for state and local office, with a strategic focus on down ballot statewide offices, legislative swing seats and Democratic open seat opportunities;
● Develop state plans to both increase the number of women in elected office as well as strategically assist the electoral component of redistricting efforts in Focus 2020 states;
● Assess candidates in key local offices for endorsement and pipeline development;
● Build the pipeline of candidates for federal and gubernatorial office;
● Assess candidates and campaign staff of EMILY’s List races on the fundamental mechanics it takes to build a winning campaign plan;
● Design state work plans to maximize EMILY’s List support for candidates in a targeted state;
● Assess campaigns, including their ability to develop campaign plans and budgets, paid and earned communication strategy, finance, and field programs, in partnership with state caucus programs and in-state allied groups;
● Develop strong relationships with state legislative caucus leadership, in-state labor leaders, leaders in the choice community and other allied organizations to recruit and elect more women to run for key offices;
● Provide recommendations for endorsements and candidate contributions;
● Assess need and offer strategic guidance to campaigns;
● Create and foster mentoring opportunities for women to advance in political leadership;
● Conduct trainings for women candidates and women considering running for office in targeted areas;
● Strengthen opportunities to expand EMILY’s List membership in states;
● Perform other duties as assigned.
The State & Local Regional Director must have six to eight years of campaign and electoral experience and a thorough understanding of state politics. The must also possess a strong commitment to electing pro-choice Democratic women along with the following qualifications:
Strong relationship building skills and the ability to manage multiple projects and work streams are a must. The State & Local Regional Director must results-oriented, be a self-starter, have excellent interpersonal skills, adaptability, good attention to detail, and a sense of humor. The State & Local Regional Director must be willing to travel extensively. This position can be located anywhere within the assigned region but must be close to a major airport.
work well under deadline, and understand that the Internet isn’t always a 9-to-6 kind of job.
Must have a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff and the commitment and passion to elect pro-choice Democratic women.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com – subject line including your name and the job title. No calls, please.
EMILY’s List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.