Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate, talented, tireless team and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are eagerly seeking interns to contribute to and learn about our work.
Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic. Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths. We tell it like it is and refuse to blame anyone for their breast cancer, because:
· More than a quarter million women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year;
· Black women are 40% more likely to die from the disease and people of color fare worse after a diagnosis;
· Involuntary chemical exposures throughout our lives are linked to increased risk of breast cancer and 90% of breast cancers are not linked to family history or genetic mutations;
· Corporations boost sales with pink ribbon products for awareness, yet fail to take steps to ensure their products don’t increase the risk of breast cancer;
· Pink ribbon culture shifts the burden to patients’ attitude and behavior by insisting we “stay positive” and “fight like a girl.”
Breast Cancer Action is fiercely independent and refuses corporate funding from any company that profits from or contributes to breast cancer, which means we can do the work that other breast cancer organizations don’t.
We are an ambitious organization and successful team members bring big, bold ideas, as well as a relentless determination to get the actual work done. We value diversity and each member of our team brings their own diverse lived experiences along with the depth of their professional expertise to inform and enrich our work together. Our work together is deeply collaborative and driven by our organizational values.
The Strategic Planning Intern will support Breast Cancer Action’s staff and Board as we prepare for and engage in our strategic planning process, to be introduced in 2020.
Breast Cancer Action is accepting applications from current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent graduates, who are eager to bring their talents to support our work. The Strategic Planning Intern will provide research, administrative, and general support to our strategic planning process. In return, Breast Cancer Action will provide opportunities to learn about nonprofit administration and management, nonprofit finance, the politics of breast cancer, and grassroots health activism.
The Strategic Planning Intern is an unpaid position and we encourage students to pursue funding opportunities through their schools. This is an on-site position in our San Francisco office during normal business hours. We ask that candidates commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week for a minimum of three months, starting in September. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue further depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance.
The Strategic Planning Intern reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with other staff to support strategic planning. Tasks may include:
· Supporting the assessment of the current strategic plan
· Helping to analyze our member survey
· Contributing to and analyzing a landscape analysis of the sector
· Other tasks and projects as needed
· Interest in campaigning and digital organizing
· General computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Social media skills desirable
· Graphic design or video skills desirable
· Clear written and verbal communication abilities
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to health justice
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, please send a detailed cover letter, highlighting relevant experience, and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Strategic Planning Intern.” Please include and 2 short writing samples that provides evidence of your ability to clearly communicate complex information in an accessible way and links to blogs, social media handles, websites, or any other online presence that highlights your experience. No phone calls please. People of color, gender and sexual minorities, and people with a personal experience with cancer are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Breast Cancer Action
Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate, talented, tireless team and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are eagerly seeking interns to contribute to and learn about our work.Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic. Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths.