Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate, talented, tireless team and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are eagerly seeking interns to contribute to and learn about our work.
Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic. Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths. We tell it like it is and refuse to blame anyone for their breast cancer because:
· More than a quarter million women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year;
· Black women are 40% more likely to die from the disease and people of color fare worse after a diagnosis;
· Involuntary chemical exposures throughout our lives are linked to increased risk of breast cancer and 90% of breast cancers are not linked to family history or genetic mutations;
· Corporations boost sales with pink ribbon products for awareness, yet fail to take steps to ensure their products don’t increase the risk of breast cancer;
· Pink ribbon culture shifts the burden to patients’ attitude and behavior by insisting we “stay positive” and “fight like a girl.”
Breast Cancer Action is fiercely independent and refuses corporate funding from any company that profits from or contributes to breast cancer, which means we can do the work that other breast cancer organizations don’t.
We are an ambitious organization and successful team members bring big, bold ideas, as well as a relentless determination to get the actual work done. We value diversity and each member of our team brings their own diverse lived experiences along with the depth of their professional expertise to inform and enrich our work together, work that is deeply collaborative and driven by our organizational values.
Think Before You Pink®
Our annual Think Before You Pink® (TB4UP) campaign calls for accountability and transparency in mainstream pink ribbon marketing and culture. Learn about our past TB4UP campaigns here: https://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/past-campaigns/.
Breast Cancer Action is accepting applications from current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent graduates, who are eager to bring their talents to support our work. The TB4UP Intern will provide research, administrative, and general support to our programs. In return, Breast Cancer Action will provide opportunities to learn about breast cancer treatment, corporate campaigns, and the politics of breast cancer, intersectional health activism, and day-to-day operations of a national nonprofit.
The TB4UP Intern is an unpaid position and we encourage students to pursue funding opportunities through their schools. This is an on-site position in our San Francisco office during normal business hours. We ask that candidates commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week for a minimum of two months, starting in September. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue further depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance.
The TB4UP Intern reports to the Program Officer and will work closely with the communications team and other staff to identify and develop material for TB4UP. Tasks may include:
· Developing draft campaign plans and strategy for TB4UP 2019
· Assisting in the development and execution of the campaign
· Building new relationships and maintaining partnerships with organizations to endorse the campaign
· Conducting additional background research on the campaign target
· Conducting other research and writing as needed
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, please send a detailed cover letter, highlighting relevant experience, and your resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Think Before You Pink® Intern.” Please include a writing sample that provides evidence of your ability to clearly communicate complex information in an accessible way (no longer than 4 pages). No phone calls please. People of color, gender and sexual minorities, and people with a personal experience with cancer are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Breast Cancer Action
Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate, talented, tireless team and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are eagerly seeking interns to contribute to and learn about our work.Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic. Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths.