Vice President, Research
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Vice President, Research to join our Research team. We recruit and train candidates, support strong campaigns, research the issues that impact women and families, and turn out women voters. Since our founding in 1985, we have trained nearly 10,000 women to run and helped elect 116 women to the House, 23 to the Senate, 12 governors, and over 800 to state and local office. Forty percent of the candidates EMILY’s List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color – including every single Latina, African American, and Asian American Democratic congresswoman currently serving.
The Vice President of Research helps to elect pro-choice Democratic women by: managing needs and
priorities from internal and external requests, tracking key legislation and policy priorities,
presenting compelling evidence of the impact Democratic women have on building a sustainable,
progressive America; providing critical information and insight on individual races and electoral
trends; and ensuring that EMILY’s List operates at all times at the highest levels of accuracy. The
Vice President, Research is a part of senior management and is included in strategic planning and
• Provide strategic guidance and creative ideas to the Senior Leadership Team in an effort to help focus on growing our community and helping our candidates win their races;
• Lead the creation, distribution, and analysis of research assessments of both potential and endorsed candidates at the federal and state and local level;
• Track FEC filings, legislative calendars, and other external events, and communicate critical
deadlines, election results, and upcoming opportunities broadly with relevant EL teams;
• Oversee organization-wide fact-check process in order to ensure all EMILY’s List messages and materials are accurate;
• Demonstrate and present best research practices and norms with research teams at key partners such as the Democratic committees;
• Support individual candidates on an as-needed basis by helping to identify research needs, secure research consultants for campaigns, and ensure campaigns have a professional research operation;
• Supervise at least three full-time staffers in the Research Department;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• 6-8 years minimum of leadership in a research capacity;
• Excellent research skills, including original research and collections, legislative tracking, and
• Excellent communications experience, including persuasive writing and confident rapid response;
• Campaign or political experience preferred;
• Deep understanding of and commitment to women’s leadership and its impact on women and families a
• Experience contributing to long-term strategic efforts, including growth campaigns,
issue-advocacy, or entrepreneurial projects;
• Understanding of fact-checking process and ability to manage process during high-volume,
• Ability to utilize federal and state government databases and multiple other data sources;
• Proficiency with Microsoft excel and other programs to track and present data effectively a plus;
• Precise, organized, detail-oriented;
• Resilient, thick-skinned, with a sense of humor and a commitment to teamwork;
• Pro-active self-starter with a hunger to expand the EMILY’s List community, win races, and build
a sustainable, progressive America.
EMILY’s List offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, – subject line “VP, Research.” No calls, please.
EMILY’s List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multi- cultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.