Texas Democratic Party’s mission is to create a full-service educational and action plan to expand opportunities for Texans to be registered to vote, educated on all aspects of voting, and have full range of protections from any form of intimidation or voter suppression in casting a ballot or full participation in all aspects of Texas government.
We seek a talented Voter Protection Organizer to build a strong team of volunteer attorneys, legal professionals, and advocates to observe polling places in all corners of the state. The Organizer will join our Voter Protection Team, which is working to ensure that all eligible voters are able to cast their ballot. Our right to vote is fundamental to all that we hope to accomplish; the Voter Protection Organizer is a crucial role that will develop, implement, and manage a robust poll watching program that is critical to ensuring free and fair elections in Texas.
What You’ll Do
As our Voter Protection Organizer, you will spearhead the statewide poll watcher program, which will involve:
- Recruiting a robust team of volunteer attorneys, legal professionals, and advocates who will serve as County Liaisons, Poll Watchers, and Voter Protection Hotline volunteers.
- Assigning volunteers to their Election Day roles and shifts using VAN/VoteBuilder and LBJ softwares.
- Assisting with poll watcher volunteer training and management.
- Maintaining communication with volunteers between signup and Election Day, including informing them about opportunities to support the team’s work.
- Cultivating relationships with community organizations and other allies, including faith organizations, colleges and universities, and local business leaders to recruit volunteers, identify potential impediments to voter participation, and educate voters.
- Using digital tools to engage new volunteers, educate voters, and highlight our work on the ground.
- Managing the team’s volunteer data using VoteBuilder/VAN and LBJ.
This position will require extensive travel throughout the state, including overnight and weekend trips. As we transition toward the general election, this person’s responsibilities may shift from a statewide focus to a regional one, concentrating on a certain area of the state.
Who You Are
We’re seeking an experienced community or political organizer who is committed to protecting voting rights.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will identify as:
- A strong, data-driven organizer and/or political operative: Demonstrated ability to stand up large-scale, diverse volunteer organizations that effectively deliver results by motivating and holding volunteers accountable for their goals. Adept at using data to inform strategy development, monitor progress to goal, and report on and analyze outcomes, including familiarity with VAN/Votebuilder, Excel, and other tools (ideally including LBJ). Preference will be given to candidates who also have experience managing a staff.
- Strong collaborator. The ideal candidate communicates with stakeholders early and often, closes the loop quickly on outstanding issues, and manages up and across to their colleagues, manager, and other team leaders.
- Strong lens and judgement on issues of race and equity: Clearly and consistently articulates a sophisticated understanding of racial equity and structural racism as it relates to the work we do and how we operate internally at the Texas Democratic Party. Organizes from a racial justice perspective, with emphasis on voter suppression’s disproportionate impact on communities of color.
- Committed to Democratic values
Working at Texas Democratic Party in Austin, Texas
We have a strong preference for the Organizer to be based in Austin. However, we will consider candidates in other metro areas within the state. If you would prefer or not be willing to relocate to Austin, please mention this in the text of your application email.
The salary band for this position is $39,000-$45,000 annually, commensurate on the quality and breadth of experience the successful candidate brings to the table.
Progressive employee benefits program. Comprehensive benefits package, including employer-paid medical & dental coverage. Paid vacation, parental leave, etc.
Voter Protection Director of the Texas Democratic Party
About Texas Democratic Party
At our core, we are all about a fair shot for all. That’s why Texas Democrats have a plan for jobs with fair pay, strong neighborhood schools, health care for all, debt-free college, investment in job training and technical education, a dignified retirement, and expanded family leave options, so Texans never have to choose between their job or caring for a sick loved one. We will never stop fighting for an economy that works for everybody, not just those at the top.