American Oversight is a non-profit organization dedicated to holding the executive branch accountable to the American people. Through open records requests and the power of the courts, we are working every day to promote accountability; to uncover corruption, malfeasance, or other misconduct; and to expose the administration to public scrutiny. American Oversight’s investigations helped uncover Ivanka Trump’s personal email use, former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt’s heavy focus on industry groups, and the lax work schedules kept by HUD Secretary Ben Carson and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, and have led to dozens of other significant stories. We’re also expanding our focus and bringing our model to the states – using transparency tools to hold state governments accountable.
American Oversight is hiring research interns to support our investigative work and help us hold the Trump administration and state governments accountable.
The positions are located in Washington, DC, and report to our investigations director.
We are no longer accepting applications for fall 2019 internships but will review applications for winter 2020 on a rolling basis.
As an intern:
- You’ll support the investigations team’s work by conducting creative, detail-oriented research using a wide variety of sources—including publicly available research databases, documents obtained through public records requests, and news reports.
- You’ll work with research and legal staff to develop and write public records requests aimed at covering government corruption and malfeasance at the state and federal levels.
- You’ll review documents that we receive from public records requests to identify newsworthy stories and opportunities for further research.
- You’ll work with the communications team to write blog posts and other products synthesizing American Oversight’s research.
- You’ll take on other tasks as needed.
This position is open to students and recent graduates who are interested in building their research skills in preparation for careers in fields such as journalism, law, policy analysis, campaign research, or government oversight.
The ideal candidate will have excellent research and writing skills, engagement in political news and interest in the workings of the federal government, exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, comfort handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, and a positive, can-do attitude.
American Oversight is proudly an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse team. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Internships are full-time or part-time temporary positions. Interns who are not receiving school credit for the internship are paid at $15 an hour. Start and end dates are flexible and can be adjusted to fit the intern’s schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, résumé, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com. Please indicate in your email how you heard about this opening.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will complete our first round of review for winter internships by November 15, 2019.