Website Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
For our forests. For our streams. For our future.
About the Alliance:
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance) is a regional nonproﬁt organization whose vision is clean streams and rivers ﬂowing through resilient landscapes, cared for by the people who live, work, and play in the Chesapeake Bay watershed; and whose mission is to bring together communities, companies, and conservationists to improve our lands and waters. The Alliance was founded in 1971 and has ofﬁces in Annapolis, MD, Lancaster, PA, Washington, D.C., and Richmond, VA. Please visit our website to learn more!
The New York Agriculture Projects Manager is a fast-paced full-time position working under supervision of the Senior Agriculture Projects Manager. The successful candidate will work directly with farmers and a diverse set of project partners on water quality improvement and climate change mitigation practices, community engagement, riparian and upland reforestation efforts, and more. The Manager will also provide strategic support for the Alliance’s broader Agriculture Program efforts. Substantial outreach to farmers and ﬁeldwork (approximately 60% of time) is necessary, and, thus, ﬁeld-savviness is integral to this position.
Speciﬁc Duties of the Position:
● Manage the planning and implementation of agricultural best management practices, primarily focused in the southern tier counties of the Finger Lakes region of New York state.
○ Independently conduct farmer outreach within Alliance-corporate partnerships.
○ Provide direct on-site farm support as needed, approximately 60% of the work week.
○ Develop new partnerships with local stakeholders and community partners.
○ Build and maintain relationships with farmers, partner organizations, technical service providers, contractors, and federal and state agencies. Facilitate meetings as appropriate.
○ Manage communications between various parties involved in project execution.
○ Oversee components of project budgets. As delegated, ensure timely payments, invoices, reimbursements, reporting on associated projects is maintained.
● Support the Alliance’s overall Agriculture Program strategic efforts
○ Pursue funding that enables the Alliance to meet its Strategic Goals through the Agriculture Program. Includes leading and collaborating in multiple, varied, successful grant proposals, especially focused on expanding projects through central New York.
○ Participate in Alliance strategic planning efforts, internal committee, and problem-solving oriented teams as assigned.
○ Contribute to the Alliance’s various Agriculture Program team efforts.
○ Support external facing communications efforts to engage the Alliance’s diverse audiences.
● Provide event support, meeting coordination, and other administrative assistance as appropriate.
Minimum Qualiﬁcations & Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in agricultural science, natural resources management, biology, environmental science, or other relevant ﬁeld. A Master’s degree may be substituted for 1 year of experience. Candidates with alternative education, but with extensive relevant professional experience, will also be considered.
● 4+ years relevant professional experience (which may include internships) related to the tasks of this position. Existing professional relationships with key stakeholders is a plus.
● Strong knowledge of NY’s farming communities, geography, and conservation programs.
● Experience successfully working with farmers or landowners in agricultural conservation.
● Working technical knowledge of agricultural best management practices.
● Strong communications skills, internally as part of a team and also with external audiences.
● Great time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize tasks.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. We are committed to ensuring diversity and inclusion remain integral to our organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, strategic goals, grants, partnerships and program delivery. The Alliance believes a broad base of participation and partners reﬂecting all of society is needed to be successful in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed restoration effort. Visit www.allianceforthebay.org/DEI to learn more.
The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay offers a family friendly, ﬂexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet at least 75% of the qualiﬁcations of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
Supervision: The New York Agriculture Projects Manager reports directly to the Senior Agriculture Projects Manager
Hours and Location: The New York Agriculture Projects Manager is a remote-based position located in the southern tier counties of the Finger Lake region of New York state. This position requires travel approximately 60% of the time, primarily to sites in south central NY, but occasionally to other parts of the Chesapeake Bay watershed, including to the Alliance’s Lancaster, PA Ofﬁce. Some night and weekend work is required. The position is full-time (40 hours per week).
Salary & Beneﬁts: $50,000 – $55,000, commensurate with experience. Competitive beneﬁts include: health, dental, and vision insurance, 403b retirement fund, life insurance, professional development opportunities, vacation, sick, and holiday and other leave, and more.
Application: The information listed below should be emailed to [email protected] no later than September 4th, 2023. Indicate “New York Agriculture Projects Manager” in the email subject line. No telephone inquiries please.
● Your resume
● A written response to the following prompts:
1. Please, describe your experience working with farmers and landowners.
2. Please, describe your experience coordinating the installation of agricultural best management practices and/or conservation projects.
● A list of 3 professional references.
● Please indicate you are replying to the posting on Feminist Jobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org