Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
An employee in this position is responsible for performing a variety of duties pertaining to the safety and security of detainees in the custody of the Buncombe County Detention Facility.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Admits detainees to the County Detention Facility; searches and processes detainees; and advises detainees of all facility rules and regulations.
- Conducts supervision rounds and inspects cells and common areas to ensure cleanliness and sanitation; supervises detainees engaged in daily cleaning of the housing unit and other activities.
- Coordinates weekly visits for detainees; documents detainee movement as well as conducting searches of detainees and property for contraband; checks outgoing mail for contraband.
- Supervises detainees during the administration of medicines and sick call by medical staff; notifies medical staff of emergencies and oversees the general welfare of detainees.
- Conducts supervision rounds to ensure the safety and security of the facility.
- Maintains various forms and completes computer entries to update and document the detainees file while in custody.
- Performs other related duties as assigned within the detention facility.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
High School diploma or equivalent. Must be 21 years of age.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: It is required by the North Carolina Sheriff’s Training and Standards Commission that you be certified as a detention officer within a year. This training is approximately 5 weeks with pay. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Typical Work Schedule:
- Adheres to the assigned work schedule as outlined in the Sheriff’s Office and County attendance policies and procedures.
- The Detention Facility is a 24/7 operation and as such persons must be able to work various shift assignments, including night shift.
- Typical shift will be 12 hours with a compensated lunch break.
- Regular, predictable attendance is essential
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of practices and procedures involved in detainee management.
- Knowledge of local laws, ordinances and the North Carolina General Statutes pertaining to the commitment and confinement of inmates.
Ability to maintain discipline and order of detainees.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to maintain courteous and tactful relationships with families of detainees, attorneys, ministers and other persons concerned with the welfare of individual inmates.
- Ability to take prompt and effective action during detention facility emergencies.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date:
Salary Range: $48,353.76 – $48,353.76.
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.