Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
This advertisement is for the purpose of developing a pool of ready applicants to fill multiple EMT-Advanced positions.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide basic and limited advanced emergency medical care and transportation for critical and emergent patients and respond to emergency rescue situations involving bodily injury or potential loss of life.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Maintain readiness and serve as a mobile medical unit driver or attendant responding to emergency medical calls, perform necessary rescue work and administer necessary emergency medical care to patients in the field.
- Operate a mobile medical unit, applying necessary first-aid to sick or injured persons.
- Collect, communicate and accurately document information about the medical emergency to further quality patient care; deliver complete and timely report to hospital staff and assure patient privacy.
- Administer fluids and drugs to patients in route to hospital, start and maintain intravenous infusion; perform pulmonary ventilation, cardio pulmonary resuscitation and any other procedure or skill as outlined by state and local medical control; obtain blood for laboratory analysis.
Study and participate in training to improve competency in medical technical work and ambulance service/operation.
- Study street and road patterns and networks of the County in order that future runs may be made with minimum difficulty and delay.
- Respond to non-emergency calls such as requests to transport patients from hospitals to their homes or from a local medical facility to a specialized medical center.
- Prepare incident reports and maintain records on patients treated.
Assist in the inspection and maintenance of vehicles and equipment used in emergency medical service.
- Test and maintain medical equipment standard to advanced life support ambulances.
- Participate in the maintenance of station equipment and quarters.
- Act as preceptor for state wide pre-hospital education program by mentoring and evaluating student performance as a Paramedic or EMT trainee.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Graduation from high school or equivalent, supplemented by required course work in emergency medical techniques; or an equivalent combination of experience and training. Must be 21 years of age or older.
Additional Training and Experience: Some experience in emergency medical service work preferred.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
Certification as an Advanced Emergency Medical Technician by the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the state of residence.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Abilities:
- Applies fundamental knowledge to provide basic and selected advanced emergency care and transportation based on assessment findings for an acutely ill patient.
- Applies fundamental knowledge of the EMS system, safety/well-being of the AEMT, medical/legal and ethical issues to the provision of emergency care.
- Foundational knowledge of equipment and supplies employed in the emergency care of patients and victims of accidents.
- Working knowledge of County geography and of the location of roads and streets within the County.
- Working knowledge of procedures in extrication, movement of patients, rescue techniques, transportation and psychological needs of a patient.
Skill in diagnosing a victim’s condition and applying emergency medical care.
- Ability to respond quickly and calmly to emergency situations.
- Ability to safely drive an ambulance occasionally at high rates of speed.
- Ability to lift substantial weight.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and firmly with the general public.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date:
Salary Range: $18.97 – $22.14
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.