Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide emergency first-aid and medical treatment and respond to emergency rescue situations involving bodily injury or potential loss of life.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Maintain readiness and serve as a crew member responding to emergency medical calls and administering medical stabilization to patients in the field.
- Provide service and medical care in the context of the medical emergency that follows established protocols.
- Collect, communicate and accurately document information about the medical emergency to further quality patient care; deliver complete and timely report to hospital staff and assure patient privacy.
- Administer medical care to patients in the event that other members of the crew are classified as Emergency Medical Technician or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician.
- Administer fluids and drugs to patients in route to hospital, start and maintain intravenous infusion; perform pulmonary ventilation and obtain blood for laboratory analysis.
- Administer emergency cardiac care as well as other advanced emergency medical treatments such as administering drugs parenterally, orally, or topically; obtaining blood; and perform pulmonary ventilation.
- Study and participate in training in the methods and techniques for emergency medical care and ambulance service/operation to improve knowledge and skills.
- Study street and road patterns and networks of the County in order that future runs may be made with minimum difficulty and delay.
- Respond to non-emergency calls such as requests to transport patients from hospitals to their homes or from a local medical facility to a specialized medical center.
- Assist in the inspection and maintenance of vehicles and equipment used in emergency medical service.
- Test and maintain medical instruments such as mechanical CPR units, defibrillators, oxygen tanks, masks, gauges and regulators.
- Act as preceptor for state wide pre-hospital education program by mentoring and evaluating student performance as a Paramedic or EMT trainee.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Graduation from high school or equivalent, supplemented by required course work in emergency medical techniques; or an equivalent combination of experience and training. Must be 21 years of age or older.
Additional Training and Experience: Experience in emergency medical service work preferred.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
Certification as a Paramedic by the North Carolina Office of EMS and the Medical Care Commission. Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the state of residence.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Abilities: Knowledge of basic and advanced emergency medical procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of basic and advanced emergency medical procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of equipment and supplies employed in the emergency care of patients and victims of accidents.
- Knowledge of procedures in extrication, movement of patients, rescue techniques, transportation and psychological needs of a patient.
- Knowledge of life support techniques of patients in the field.
- Knowledge of County geography and of the location of roads and streets within the County.
- Skill in diagnosing a victim’s condition and applying emergency medical care.
- Ability to respond quickly and calmly to emergency situations.
- Ability to operate an emergency vehicle in a safe manner.
- Ability to lift substantial weight.Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and firmly with the general public.
This advertisement is for the purpose of developing a pool of ready applicants to fill multiple temporary and regular EMT-Paramedic positions. Full-time and part-time schedules available.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date:
Salary Range: $19.04 – $24.46
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.