Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Income Maintenance Caseworker II Trainee
This position is part of the Family Medicaid/Food & Nutrition Services Dual Intake Unit. Family and Children’s Medicaid is a health insurance program that serves low-income individuals, children, and parents.
This position will be hired as an IMC I with the expectation that to continue employment the selected candidate will successfully advance to an IMC II level after one year. At that time the selected candidate will advanced to the level of IMC II and will be promoted as such.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to ensure all eligible individuals receive timely public assistance benefits by determining or re-determining eligibility of Buncombe County residents applying for public assistance across multiple Income Maintenance programs.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience:
Associate degree in Social Work, Human Services or related major and minimum of one (1) year experience in customer service, and minimum of one (1) year as an Income Maintenance Caseworker I; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:
English/Spanish bilingual speakers preferred; Complete policy trainings as directed; maintain knowledge of programs and eligibility requirements
Essential Functions of the position:
- Determine client eligibility for benefits accurately and within local, community, Federal and State mandated time frames.
- Gather and interpret client data obtained through interview process, case file review and/or third-party verification.
- Provide information to clients/applicants regarding programs, services and eligibility requirements and outcomes.
- Organize and maintain ongoing caseloads to maintain timeliness and quality assurance per Federal and State guidelines along with Buncombe County best practices.
- Identify cases for investigation of potential fraud and submit appropriate fraud referral documentation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Current knowledge of available agency, community, Federal and State programs, along with eligibility criteria, timelines, and requirements.
- Ability to analyze, comprehend and apply rules and regulations and often changing policies and guidelines pertaining to eligibility requirements for programs.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change.
- Ability to accept work direction from multiple parties and work as part of a team.
- Ability to work with and interpret facts and figures and perform tasks involving a high degree of accuracy, learn the intricacies of numerous forms and procedures of public assistance programs.
- Proficiency working with a variety of computer systems and software.
Report and react to changes in programs to clients and update eligibility or program requirements as needed.
- Report potentially fraudulent claims or information to Program Integrity.
Maintain clear and accurate records, review caseload information on a minimum of an annual basis.
- Assist in local and state hearing processes, as necessary.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, regulations and rules regarding programs to provide accurate and timely information to ongoing and potential clients.
- Skill in data entry into a computer and operating general office equipment.
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employes. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via Cost of Living increases and promotions.
Department:Health and Human Services
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 06, 2022
Salary Range: $20.37 – $23.78
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.