Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Investigation, Assessment, and Treatment / START Social Worker
This position is for the Social Worker member of the dyad for the START model-an intensive intervention model for substance abusing parents and families that integrates addiction and recovery services, family preservation, community partnerships, and best practices in child welfare and substance use disorder treatment.
The primary purpose of this position is to ensure child safety in compliance with state and federal statutes regarding child protective services and to work with families with co-occurring substance abuse and child maltreatment where at least one child is 5 or younger and with a focus on substance affected infants.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience:
Master’s degree from an accredited school of social work and one (1) year of social work experience; or a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of social work and two (2) years of social work or counseling experience; or Master’s degree in a counseling field and two (2) years of social work or counseling experience; or a Bachelor’s degree in a human services field or related curriculum and three (3) years of social work or counseling experience; or Bachelor’s degree and four (4) years of experience in rehabilitation counseling, pastoral counseling or a related human service field providing experience in the techniques of casework, group work or community organization; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. *One year of work experience can be credited for completion of the social work collaborative.
Additional Training and Experience: English/Spanish bi-lingual speakers preferred. Specialized training or experience working with families with young children impacted by Substance Use Disorder preferred.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: A current, valid North Carolina driver’s license.
- Work as the social work member of the dyad for the START model- an intensive intervention model for substance abusing parents and families involved with the child welfare system that integrates addiction and recovery services, family preservation, community partnerships, and best practices in child welfare and substance use disorder treatment. The program aims to address systems issues that result in barriers to families being able to access services in a timely manner. It requires an approach to service delivery that involves cross-system collaboration and flexibility to meet the unique needs of this population.
- Assess the risk and safety of children in response to actual or suspected child neglect, abuse, or dependency through conducting a thorough investigation of the home, school and other locations or persons involved, conducting such assessments requires the use of a personal vehicle and a valid driver’s license.
- Develop and monitor service plans with families involved in Child Protective Services and provide or refer services as needed. Make recommendations to the court, including services needed, progress and barriers to permanent plan.
- Provide direct services to children and their parents/caretakers through which a timely and comprehensive assessment is conducted to determine if abuse/neglect/dependency exist and provide for ongoing intervention if warranted.
- Ensure safety planning for children in compliance with state and federal statutes and policies. If children cannot remain safely in their home a petition to the court and/or non-secure custody is sought.
- Assess, support, supervise and counsel families involved with child protective services to ensure child safety, wellbeing and permanence. Evaluate available information to determine the appropriateness for intervention and level of services required.
- Prepare legal documents, court reports, and court testimony when warranted in compliance with state and federal statutes and policies. Ensure all required documentation, forms and reports are completed and maintained in a timely and consistent manner in accordance with local, state and federal requirements.
- Provide transportation on a limited basis to families when necessary to access services to address safety and wellbeing issues.
- Advise clients of the Department’s mandated responsibilities, agency policies and procedures and clients’ rights.
- Establish rapport with children, families and appropriate professionals/non-professionals in the community to provide a strengths-based, family centered approach in working with families throughout child welfare involvement.
- Coordinate goal-directed visitation with birth family in accordance with Court orders and service agreements.
- Develop and/or participate in Child and Family Team to ensure collaborative service planning and case coordination among multiple service providers.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to engage families through a non-judgmental, strengths-based approach, using motivational interviewing and shared decision making
Ability to prioritize, identify, and assess risks, problems and needs often in stressful situations with clients who are hostile, emotionally confused and resistant; Ability to effectively de-escalate individuals.
- Knowledge of medical, behavioral and socio-economic problems and their treatment.
- Knowledge of numerous funding sources and how to utilize them.
Knowledge of basic criminal justice procedures, elements of medical and mental disorders, personality theory, family systems dynamics, interpersonal relations, and cultural differences, values and lifestyles.
- Skills in establishing constructive relationships with resistant clients and utilizing family-centered SW practice.
- Skills and counseling in interviewing and the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely and to plan and execute work effectively; and skills in creating resources when none are readily available.
- Thorough Knowledge of social work principles, techniques and practices and their application to specific casework and community problems.
Thorough knowledge of agency procedures and resources, community systems and resources, manual material, state and federal regulations, permanency planning philosophy, and laws governing protective services for children.
Department:Health and Human Services
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: September 15, 2022
Salary Range: $26.70 – $31.17
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.