Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide professional nursing services related to public health and community health care services in health promotion, prevention and disease control programs to clients in all areas of BCHHS Clinical Services and the community.
This position will be working in clinics including Family Planning, STI, Immunizations, Foreign Travel, and Refugee clinics.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire): Bachelor’s degree in Nursing which includes a Public Health Nursing rotation and one (1) year of Public Health Nursing experience; or Master’s degree in Public Health, graduation from a school of professional nursing and one (1) year of professional nursing experience; or graduation from a school of professional nursing and two (2) years of professional nursing experience including one year of Public Health Nursing experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Individuals who do not have one (1) year of Public Health Nursing experience may be hired as a Public Health Nurse I and compensated at a rate between $52,897.04 and $65,019.30 (depending on qualifications) with the expectation that to continue employment, they will successfully advance to a Public Health Nurse II after one year.
Additional Training and Experience:English/Spanish bi-lingual speakers preferred; Certification in Community Health Nursing desirable but is not required.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in North Carolina by the N. C. Board of Nursing.
The work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs. The work is primarily light work requiring exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, mental acuity, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Provide direct public health nursing services, client assessment, education and non-judgmental counseling, administer medications and treatments, develop individualized plan of care, provide referral services and coordination of community resources.
- Conduct disease control surveillance and investigation activities to prevent the spread of disease in compliance with North Carolina General Statutes; provide follow-up as appropriate; provide clients and contacts with control measures necessary to prevent the spread of disease; assure clients understand the plan of care and importance of compliance.
- Establish and maintain an accurate database through extensive health history of client; prioritize areas of concern and communicate findings via client medical record or other appropriate document; Utilize HIPAA regulations and confidentiality requirements when handling client information and communication.
- Provide immunizations for vaccine preventable diseases via State and CDC guidelines, and education of parents/clients regarding immunization laws, schedules, and care following immunizations.
Participate with activities related to preparedness for and response to bioterrorism and other public health threats as needed.
- Participate in Department of Health and community activities including committees and staff meetings to facilitate coordination of client care; provide Public Health services at BCHHS outreach events as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of the organization of Public Health programs at local and state level including knowledge of principles and practice of public health nursing services.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations regarding handling of client’s charts and client-related communications.
- Ability to relate well with people including clients of all ages, caregivers of clients, professional and clerical staff, and outside agencies.
- Skill in observing, listening, organizing, prioritizing and communicating.
Ability to recognize signs and symptoms of health, as well as disease, in relation to the physical, mental and emotional health of the client and caregivers.
- Knowledge of the community resources and ways of utilizing them to benefit the client.
- Ability to create and maintain an effective follow up and referral system.
Ability to learn the program area of assignment and all agency programs and services which could affect the client/applicant.
- Ability to analyze and comprehend a variety of technical and administrative regulation, records, and reports.
Buncombe County offers competitive pay based on a candidate’s experience (DOE).
Department:Public Health Administration
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: July 21, 2022
Salary Range: $56,599.83 – $69,570.65
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.