Website Buncombe County Government
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
The anticipated start date for this position is September 1st, 2022.
This posting is until filled and the posting may come down at any time, so apply now if you’re interested!
This is a newly created position which will work with the Sustainability Team, including consultants and community partners, to develop short term and long-term strategic plans, recommend policy and organizational changes needed to advance sustainability initiatives. The successful candidate will leverage energy management best practices in new construction and renovation, as well as facility and fleet electrification and conduct research on relevant issues and best practices, develop and implement program policies and procedures.
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of a major program or programs and services that support the needs of the community ensuring alignment with department and organizational strategies and goals.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and four (4) years of experience in a related to the program field, including two (2) years of supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:Program and personnel management experience in related field.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Oversee a program and staff supervision functions.
- Develop and maintain program specific policies and procedures for ensuring adherence to applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ensure compliance with established state and local laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Coordinate with County and state officials to ensure program is well-linked and meeting the needs of the community being served.
- Act as the liaison and conduit between key shareholders, the community and the department to convey relevant information and ensure effective collaboration.
- Personnel Management: May hire, develop, evaluate performance, and provide feedback and disciplinary action as needed; develop and maintain a positive team work environment; provide effective, clear and timely communication.
- Financial Management: Prepare departmental budget request and perform ongoing fiscal oversight to ensure spending in accordance with organizational financial practices.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of the programs and service delivery mechanisms in assigned work area.
- Knowledge of the principles of supervision and organizing teams and workflow.
- Knowledge of and ability to plan and implement budgetary, purchasing and accounting practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with clients, court personnel, and community resources.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise the work of others; to plan and prioritize work; to think analytically; to exercise judgment and discretion in the application and interpretation of personnel policies and procedures.
- Ability to transfer knowledge to staff in such a way that it is accepted and utilized, to provide encouragement and support to staff in day to day activities.
Department:Assistant County Manager
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: July 24, 2022
Salary Range: $60,561.82 – $74,440.59
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
To apply for this job please visit buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.