Website The Hub Project
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full time; Non-exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Launched in 2015, The Hub is a growing nonprofit effort made up of a team of communications, research, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital advocacy, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
The Chief of Staff will provide critical support to the Hub’s Executive Director and add capacity to the Executive Team. This person is responsible for helping the Executive Director drive the day-to-day operations of the organization as well as serving as a strategic advisor. In addition, the Chief of Staff will carry out projects on behalf of the Executive Director and the Executive Team. The CoS will support the Hub’s ED across a broad portfolio to ensure prioritization of tasks, strategic use of time, and effective communication. The Chief of Staff will at times stand-in for the Executive Director in meetings and decision-making, help represent the Executive Director and the Hub externally, and also drive both day-to-day workflow and special projects internally. Other responsibilities include: idea synthesis and content development; liaising with staff and external partners; project management, preparation, support, and follow-through for key meetings; speaking engagements; and other support as needed.
As Chief of Staff, you will…
- Advise the Executive Director on Hub priorities, including but not limited to organizational strategies, staff management, and day-to-day workflow.
- Serve as a thought partner and strategic confidant to the Executive Director.
- Act as a sounding board for the Executive Director’s ideas, asking questions to uncover any gaps in ideas and help develop ideas into more fully formed strategies with clear timelines, deliverables, and tasking of staff.
- Act as an ambassador of the Executive Director, including internal and external meetings.
- Add capacity to the Executive Team and the Senior Staff by coordinating follow up actions and materials ensuring action items and do-outs are acted upon.
- Draft memos and other documents at the direction of the Executive Director and, at times, on behalf of the Executive Team and the Senior Leadership Team.
- Lead special projects and coordinate strategy across departments as needed to advance the Hub’s priorities.
- Establish and maintain a process of prioritizing the Executive Director’s time, actively seeking opportunities to stand-in for the Executive Director in meetings and decision-making processes.
- Maintain and adjust priorities to ensure deadlines are met; maximize opportunities to develop and deepen relationships with existing and prospective partners.
- Work closely with the Executive Director’s Special Assistant and other staff on protocols to maintain and leverage his relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Ensure a consistent and comprehensive adherence to the Hub’s values and norms including diversity, equity, and inclusion across both the work and the staff of the Hub.
- Help cultivate a work culture where positive energy is contagious and the whole of the Hub’s efforts is greater than the sum of its parts.
- You are committed to a just and inclusive economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans and passionate about preserving and strengthening our democracy.
- You have deep experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- You have many years of demonstrated, relevant work experience, including as a senior leader in an organization and working directly with the chief executive of an organization.
- You conduct yourself with the utmost discretion and have experience navigating confidential relationships with Executive Team members as well as handling highly sensitive personnel and/or funding information with tact.
- You are well practiced managing up, highly organized, and comfortable in a fast-paced environment and working under tight deadlines.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and are comfortable collaborating with a team and building rapport with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences
- You are flexible with a penchant for problem solving and thinking on your feet.
- You are highly organized and have a knack for tracking projects and keeping teams on task while taking ownership of your piece of a project. You have strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and analytical skills.
- You can easily balance between quickly responding to requests and questions while working on longer-term projects.
- You are a multi-talented professional who is collaborative, mission-oriented, and a strong multi-tasker.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, eager to dive in and tackle whatever obstacle crosses your path.
- You have extensive experience managing large-scale national and state-based campaigns. You have experience working with organizations that focus on public policy and political/advocacy campaigns or communications.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
COVID-19 Safety Considerations
We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. However, this position is based in Washington, DC and candidates will be expected to relocate to work in person when determined by the project. (Safety remains our top priority and we continue to follow CDC guidance.)
How to apply
To begin the application process, click “Apply For This Job.” This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.