Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Deputy Director of People & Culture is responsible for the execution of the DLCC employee talent lifecycle, from recruitment, hiring, and onboarding, to professional development, and performance management, in alignment with the DLCC’s organizational strategy and workplace culture objectives. This position also owns and manages the DLCC’s payroll and benefits administration, under the direction of the Senior Director of People & Culture and with support from the People & Culture Coordinator.
The DLCC is explicit about our culture and values and how they impact our work and collaboration with stakeholders. DLCC staff are committed to holding ourselves to a standard of respect, inclusion, growth, and performance that meets the political and organizational requirements of the future we are building. We cannot win without a strong organizational focus and culture that centers diverse voices, listening, learning, and consistently considering equity and results. The Deputy Director of People & Culture will be a key driver in ensuring we create the workplace we envision, in alignment with our organizational strategy.
Additionally, to support our organization’s long-term growth goals and objectives, we are committed to exploring and creating new systems and tools that support the alignment of our values with getting results. This role will lead in identifying and implementing an HRIS system to support critical data collection and provide an efficient user experience for staff.
This role reports to the Senior Director of People & Culture. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. This position is eligible to be permanently remote or for flexible work arrangements.
The Deputy Director of People & Culture is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs the risk. We evaluate, learn, and improve our strategy, both when the risks pay off and when they do not.
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
People & Culture (HR)
- Under the direction of the Senior Director of People & Culture and in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer, design, implement, and own the execution of the employee talent lifecycle in alignment with the DLCC’s organizational strategy and culture objectives.
- Manage the needs assessment and lead the RFP process for identifying an HRIS vendor, onboarding the system, and implementing it across the organization.
- Ensure that staff recruitment, hiring, and onboarding processes are effective, equitable, and cutting-edge.
- Support supervisors in drafting, revising, maintaining, and aligning job descriptions with organizational and department objectives, existing team and employee capabilities, and the development goals of team members.
- Develop comprehensive new staff onboarding and current staff transition or leave planning processes, including skills development, the transition of roles, responsibilities, and outcomes, and monitoring of the progress-to-goal of these plans with supervisors, focusing on employee success and outcomes.
- Manage the day-to-day of the DLCC’s performance management process, which regular performance conversations with staff.
- Assist with employee relations matters alongside the Senior Director of People & Culture, Chief Operating Officer, and People & Culture Coordinator.
- Maintain an open-door environment for staff feedback regarding People and Culture policies, processes, and tools.
- Collect, track, and analyze data and feedback to evaluate internal policies, systems, and processes to align with our strategy, maintain and improve our workplace culture, and foster an inclusive and equitable workplace culture.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Compensation, Payroll, and Benefits Administration
- Manage and administer payroll and all benefit programs for the organization.
- Support periodic compensation analysis under the direction of the Senior Director of People & Culture.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the DLCC’s payroll and benefits administrators.
- Perform annual audits of benefit programs and negotiate any needed changes with employee benefit packages.
Racial Equity and Inclusion (REI)
- Model and integrate DLCC’s culture, values, and equity lens in all work.
- Execute racial equity and inclusion initiatives under the direction of the Senior Director of People & Culture, Chief Operating Officer, and in consultation with the DLCC’s REI consultant, throughout the organization.
- Collect or track and analyze metrics to ensure accountability, tracking, and monitoring of racial equity and inclusion efforts.
- Work closely with the Senior Director of People & Culture and Chief Operating Officer to improve workplace culture and employee experiences, build morale, and increase productivity and retention through a focus and lens of REI, safety, and belonging.
- Promote staff wellness and support through the use of DLCC’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP), mental health, neurodivergence, and other behavioral programs.
- Supervised employees: People & Culture Coordinator.
- Regularly attend training and pursue continued education in supervision skills, upholding our commitment to inclusion and equity, and ensuring the safety and sense of belonging of direct report.
- Uphold DLCC expectations for supervisors.
- Act with integrity and awareness of one’s power as a leader.
- Maintain a harassment-free and inclusive workplace for team members.
- Cultivate and guide the professional growth of the team by establishing and maintaining thoughtful opportunities to learn, grow, and receive constructive feedback.
- Ensure work is aligned and prioritized based on DLCC’s organizational strategy, coordinated-side political strategy, and priorities within any given state, chamber, and/or target.
- Employee onboarding, skills development, and performance management processes engage employees and position them for success in meeting expected role outcomes.
- The DLCC’s racial equity and inclusion strategy is owned by all team members and is part of their work and processes.
- DLCC HRIS system provides important data analysis to senior leadership to make decisions in alignment with organizational and department strategies, and allows team members to obtain personal information readily and easily.
- DLCC values and strategy are tangible in our culture (mindset and behavioral norms).
- Connections between staff, which include mentorship programs and junior-staff support, and ongoing education increase racial equity and inclusion literacy, and these principles are incorporated into leadership and management.
- Junior People & Culture staff are managed effectively and well mentored in careers.
- Communications are clear and transparent and inclusive of appropriate stakeholders and audiences.
- DLCC staff are reporting the development and use of new skills acquired through DLCC learning
- 6+ years of professional experience in People & Culture/Human Resources and at least two years in a supervisory role of People & Culture/Human Resources staff.
- 2+ years of payroll and benefits administration for an organization with at least 25 employees.
- 2+ years of working with an HRIS system and analyzing and applying human resource data.
- Proficiency in using HRIS and recruitment platforms; Lever experience is a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including active listening and empathy.
- Excellent diplomacy and tact, and demonstrated experience with confidential information.
- Willingness to learn and ask questions, and the desire to encourage others to do the same.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks accordingly.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders.
How to Apply
Salary for the Deputy Director of People & Culture position is $95,000 – $110,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application by June 20, 2022. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by June 20, 2022. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.