Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The IE Regional Political Director is a member of the DLCC’s Independent Expenditure Department and leads DLCC engagement in assigned states to capture or maintain legislative majorities and to build Democratic power in states.
A successful IE Regional Political Director builds and maintains partner and ally relationships; collects and analyzes political information and intelligence to enable effective DLCC IE support; and works with DLCC IE’s consultants to execute DLCC’s programs, interests, and needs with in-state actors. DLCC IE Regional Political Directors collaborate with one another to identify and instill best practices and work across departments when compliant with internal firewall procedures to ensure that DLCC is achieving its objectives and vision.
This position reports to the IE Director. This is a cycle position through December 31, 2022 and significant travel is required. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and we are currently remote for all staff through January 2022. This position is eligible to be permanently remote or for flexible work arrangements.
The IE Regional Political Director is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- Results Driven
- Deliver campaign tools and services that enable IE programs to adopt best campaign practices.
- Use available data and political intelligence to advise state IE tables.
- Regularly assess performance against best practices and standards considering the state specific context.
- Analyze resource allocation requests and ensure alignment with the scale of opportunity and departmental priorities.
- Report state-by-state political lay of the land to IE Director including contributions and engagement recommendations within a defined set of states.
- Continue professional development to remain up to date on the latest campaign tools and techniques.
- Ensure all IE spending in assigned state is not duplicative of other in-state or national efforts.
- Develop IE plans in coordination with IE partners.
- Operate within stated IE budget guidelines.
- Pursue tactics that provide timely, accurate availability of data for DLCC and IE table use.
- Be the DLCC authority on assigned states.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The DLCC has impactful and influential relationships in assigned states.
- The DLCC has actionable political information and intelligence in assigned states.
- DLCC IE models best practices.
- At least three cycles of campaign experience.
- State legislative campaign experience is preferred but not required.
- Experience managing/working with political consultants is required.
- Outstanding relationship building and analytical skills.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks appropriately.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
Working from a computer for long periods of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
This position has 50% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the IE Regional Political Director position is $85,000-110,000, commensurate with experience. The DLCC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days;
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents;
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution;
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region;
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account;
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit;
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement;
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application via www.dlcc.org/careers by October 29, 2021. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by October 29, 2021. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.