Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The DLCC is the official party committee dedicated to electing Democrats to the state legislature. The DLCC is committed to building new majorities and flipping seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and increasing Democratic power in the states has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, strategic planning, and data analysis necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can strengthen the path to the presidency by creating a pipeline in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country, taking back power and building up Democratic majorities will start at the local level. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. Our flexible work arrangements and significant amounts of time off aim to support work-life balance when staff may be asked to work outside of business hours during periods of peak work. Our hybrid and flexible work arrangements and policies also recognize that staff may have caregiving and other responsibilities, and create a flexible work environment to support these activities. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritizing racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Political Department Operations Manager manages support to the Vice President of Political & Strategic Initiatives, ensuring that the department’s efforts and resources are aligned with the organization’s strategy and maximized for results. The Political Department Operations Manager reports to the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives.
The Political Department Operations Manager serves as the primary point of contact for internal constituencies pertaining to the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives. This includes managing the schedule of the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives, taking notes during important meetings with the VP, and managing the VP’s communications to key constituencies. The Political Department Operations Manager must exercise professional judgment and will rely on strong management and organizational skills. The Political Department Operations Manager frequently leads projects from conception to completion and must be able to handle confidential matters with discretion. This is not an entry-level position; we are looking for someone who has both political experience and experience managing projects.
The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. The Political Department Operations Manager is based in DC and is eligible for flexible work arrangements, splitting their time working at home and the office.
The Political Department Operations Manager is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics, and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs the risk. We evaluate, learn, and improve our strategy, both when the risks pay off and when they do not.
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
- Maintains familiarity with DLCC’s political priorities, and how those fit within the organizational strategy and how they impact the schedule and priorities of the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives.
- Develops a strategy for scheduling and manages the scheduling of the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives.
- Identifies and recommends options for conflicting needs; manages matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through to ensure results align with expected outcomes, often with deadline pressures.
Systems Design & Management
- Recommends and manages processes, systems, and projects to strengthen the Political Department operations, communications, and knowledge management.
- Work to build systems to track partner and ally relationships and provide that support to the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives and the department.
- Ensures strategically aligned and tactically prioritized agendas, meeting preparation, and logistics for political departmental meetings.
- Assists the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives and the Political Department to evaluate and track performance against organizational and departmental objectives.
- Assist department members with special projects as needed including training, tracking electoral information, etc.
Communication & Representation
- Manages the preparation, briefings, and compilation of daily and weekly documents for the VP of Political & Strategic Initiative’s review.
- Composes and prepares correspondence that is often confidential.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives and internal departments and staff.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between external partners and the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives and the Political department
- Works with the Political department to manage our role at DLCC Finance events.
- Advances, staffs, and supports the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives at DLCC events, as needed.
- Political outcomes are aligned with the DLCC strategy and the Political department strategy and objectives.
- Impact-oriented scheduling systems are maximizing the time of the VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives.
- Political projects are prioritized for impact with roles, responsibilities, and timelines clearly assigned to DLCC team members to meet deliverables.
- Political communication and briefing systems and content enable the achievement of DLCC objectives and support the expected outcomes for the Political Department.
- The VP of Political & Strategic Initiatives is effectively staffed to maximize results.
- Political team members receive communication on partner activities and priorities.
- Political team members understand deadlines and roles around DLCC finance events.
- Provides clear and transparent communications to all stakeholders.
- This is not an entry-level position. The Political Department Operations Manager is expected to have at least four years of experience managing projects in a professional setting with at least three years of experience supporting principals or leadership positions within an organization.
- Work in a political setting is preferred, but not required.
- Interest in State legislative campaign politics.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, continuously evolving environment with multiple tasks and competing deadlines.
- Exemplary time management skills.
- The ideal candidate is creative, optimistic, dedicated, and remains calm in difficult situations. The ideal candidate is also adaptable to and comfortable in a constantly changing environment.
- Excellent diplomacy and tact.
- Willingness to learn and ask questions.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders; and
- This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the Political Department Operations Manager is $72,500 – $77,500 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application at https://www.dlcc.org/careers by May 13, 2022. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however, this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by May 13, 2022. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.