Website Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC)
Sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses
The DLCC is the official party committee dedicated to electing Democrats to the state legislature. The DLCC is committed to building new majorities and flipping seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and increasing Democratic power in the states has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, strategic planning, and data analysis necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can strengthen the path to the presidency by creating a pipeline in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country, taking back power and building up Democratic majorities will start at the local level. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. Our flexible work arrangements and significant amounts of time off aim to support work-life balance when staff may be asked to work outside of business hours during periods of peak work. Our hybrid and flexible work arrangements and policies also recognize that staff may have caregiving and other responsibilities, and create a flexible work environment to support these activities. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritizing racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Social Media Coordinator plans and executes social content with the goals of growing an audience, exploring new paths for digital engagement, and helping elevate the authority of the DLCC brand.
The Social Media Coordinator should love to write and have a passion for current events and progressive causes. Creativity, a sense of humor, and respect for all community members are required for this role. Someone who excels in this role will have an eye for engaging content, a curiosity for performance metrics, and a love of working with new and emerging social platforms. This person will have the instincts to recognize a great news hook and know how to share it with supporters in a way that fits with the Democratic Party’s narrative and the greater political landscape.
The Social Media Coordinator is a member of the Digital and Multimedia Department and reports to the Content Strategist. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. This position is eligible to be permanently remote or have a flexible work schedule.
The Social Media Coordinator is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics, and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs the risk. We evaluate, learn, and improve our strategy, both when the risks pay off and when they do not.
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
- Coordinate the day-to-day management of an ambitious social program, including running a robust digital content calendar and assisting with rapid response.
- Draft, edit, run approvals for, and post daily social media content, leading the quality assurance process throughout.
- Work with our design team and Content Strategist to conceptualize high-performing graphics, images, & videos.
- Assist in the production of topic-relevant posts for the personal accounts of DLCC’s organizational leaders.
- Produce metrics and analytic reports on the performance of DLCC’s social content, making data-based recommendations for program changes and improvements.
- Assist in the expansion into new social media platforms and tools, supporting strategy, content planning, drafting, and execution.
- Write long-form pieces for the DLCC’s blog and Medium.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The DLCC has consistent and meaningful engagement with its social media community.
- The DLCC’s social content is creative, timely, and inspiring.
- The DLCC’s social content is personable and engaging with our audience.
- The DLCC’s social community grows in numbers, platforms, engagement, and experiences.
- The DLCC’s brand is strengthened; the brand voice is consistent and recognizable across platforms.
- The DLCC’s social content is responsive to the news of the day, and our audience sees the connection between national and local news and the work of DLCC. The ability to recognize a great news hook and share it with supporters in a way that fits within the Democratic Party’s narrative and the greater political landscape.
- Candidates should have at least two years of social media experience in a political, non-profit, or advocacy setting. Internships count towards this two-year requirement.
- Experience with writing for different voices and platform audiences.
- Experience exploring new and emerging platforms, personally or professionally.
- Experience working with designers to conceive of and produce multimedia for social platforms.
- Strong attention to consistency and detail.
- The ability to stay calm and act quickly in rapid response situations.
- Familiarity with political best practices.
- Experience with paid social promotions is a plus.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders; and
- This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the Social Media Coordinator is $56,500 to $62,500 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application at https://www.dlcc.org/careers by May 9, 2022. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances; however, this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by May 9, 2022. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.