Website Greenpeace USA
International Environmental Campaign Organization
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster. Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities, safeguarding our independence and ability to speak the truth and act boldly. We recognize the importance of the moment: ours is the first generation to understand and experience the impacts of climate change and global scale ecosystem destruction, and the last generation with a window of time to do something about it.
The Development Operations Specialist is an administrative position that provides critical support to the Development Department for Greenpeace Inc. and Greenpeace Fund. The Development Operations Specialist will increase our capacity to fundraise and execute our annual objectives by helping to drive key operational and administrative procedures across all fundraising activities. This position is part of the Development Operations Team, and reports directly to the Development Operations Manager. The Development Operations Specialist must be creative and enjoy working within a mission-driven organization. They must be able to consistently project an enthusiastic, positive approach that contributes to a collegial organizational culture. The ideal individual will have the ability to work collaboratively, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills. The ideal individual will also have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, be able to work under pressure at times and handle confidential matters with discretion.
The Development Operations Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- In collaboration with Development Operations Manager, develop communications to the wider organization and department to provide information on financial results and Development updates on projects, tests, and new hires to foster increased integration.
- Develop and maintain internal web sites and workspaces to create fluid organizational communications.
- Oversee transitions to new systems and provide training to the department as needed.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, and facilitating all Development Department meetings. Responsible for documentation in Operations team meetings and wider Development department staff meetings and sending timely communication for meetings.
- Work with operations teams in Program and Administration to provide organizational support and share organizational knowledge. This includes assuming organizational work serving as project lead on projects that increase organization integration and collaboration, logistical planning, and meeting preparation and facilitation when needed, as well as attending monthly meetings with other operations teams to ensure effective organizational communication.
- Provides research and additional assistance to the Operations Team on the annual Development Department objectives. Assists Development Operations Manager with monitoring and evaluating projects related to the annual objectives.
- Responsible for managing the state charitable registration process. Manages the vendor relationship and serves as the primary contact for Annual Registration Management Services. Ensures all applications are executed accurately and in a timely manner. Updates all relevant contracts/budgets/etc. as needed.
- Manages the Combined Federal Campaign process for Greenpeace Fund.
- Manages the vendor relationship and serves as the primary contact for Maguire/Maguire, Inc. Monitors reporting, and executes the distribution of donor acknowledgments.
- Ensures a historical and current filing system of all general development activity is kept, including copies of significant strategy documents, compliance documents, and vendor contracts. Ensure that the legal and finance departments have copies of all vendor contracts and assist the Development Operations Manager in aggregating contracts and information for annual 990 and audit processes.
- Present all new staff with a Development Orientation. Serves as the liaison for the department for new staff and general development questions.
- Special projects as assigned by the Development Operations Manager to streamline operations within the department and increase departmental knowledge and efficiency. Projects will include ongoing donor journey mapping, facilitating CRM and reporting enhancements, assistance with annual budget creation, etc.
- Manage the coordination of trainings, retreats, etc. as needed.
- Provides operational support to fundraising teams as needed. This may include tasks such as: data management, administrative support, and other tasks when requested.
- During year end or high gift volume times, assist the Development Operations Assistant with processing all incoming checks, credit card, and cash donations for various programs within Development in accordance with procedures.
- Responsible for continually evaluating income procedures and other operational procedures for opportunities for more effective and streamlined procedures.
- Additional tasks as assigned, e.g., sending acknowledgements and tax receipts if needed during the aforementioned times.
Minimum requirements for this role include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Comfortable with procedural-driven workload.
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision required.
- Prior experience working with a fundraising database, such as Team Approach/Salesforce, preferred.
Additional requirements include, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong interest in environmental issues.
- 2-4 years experience in administrative or non-profit work (strong preference for prior fundraising experience).
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Access, Google Suite, Tableau preferred; Database management experience – Salesforce preferred.
If you want to save the world from climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate. Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pretax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 6% 401K matching. New staff members receive 3 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, 2 personal days in their first year. Additionally we are closed Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day.
After 1 year of service staff members receive 20 weeks of fully paid parental leave and after five years, staff are eligible for a 12 week paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
Salary for this position starts at $57,575 and is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com