Website Grow Progress
Building cutting-edge persuasion technology for social good.
Grow Progress is hiring a software engineer to build cutting-edge persuasion technology for social good.
We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a team that’s pioneering a new approach to persuasion: giving our customers the power to persuade more people based on how they think — not just how they look.
If you want to make a big social impact and grow your skill set by building products from the ground up, we hope you’ll apply.
Who We Are
- Grow Progress gives our customers the power to persuade more people by tailoring their messages to match each audience member’s values. We help customers harness the latest persuasion science to create messaging that’s typically 200% to 500% more effective than their existing ads. We do this by predicting which personality traits and values are most important to each individual based on their digital footprints.
- We’re using this tech to super-power campaigns, causes, and companies that make the world a better place. We currently work with many of the biggest Democratic pollsters, marketing agencies, advocacy groups, and labor unions in the country.
- We’re a team of experienced campaigners, software engineers and data scientists who are obsessed with harnessing the power of evidence to make social good advocates more effective. We’re ambitious, efficient, low-ego, and we like to make each other laugh.
About Our Technology
- We build our client facing applications with the following technologies:
- Laravel (A PHP Framework)
- SCSS (Bootstrap)
- Mysql, Vertica
- We host our applications in AWS and leverage many AWS resources such as ec2, lambda, dynamodb, s3, etc.
- We develop with Docker and Git.
- We collaborate using Atlassian software: Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence.
- We help build and maintain some analytical applications built in R.
- We understand that not everyone has the same experience and so we provide a yearly professional development budget and encourage learning on the job through self discovery, pair programming, and team training(s).
About the Position
- This opening is for a role on our Client Applications team. The Client Applications team builds the interfaces for our automated message testing and audience understanding tools.
- Engineers in this position report to the lead of the Client Applications team.
- Software Engineers on the Client Applications team work closely with Product Management and Design to assess the needs of our clients and the usability of our tools.
- Our engineering teams work closely together in scrum teams to plan, build, and iterate on our products.
- By being a part of a rapidly expanding company that’s pioneering a new technology, software engineers in this position have a lot of opportunities to expand their horizons, propose new technologies, and learn new skills.
- Software Engineers at Grow Progress write code, but more importantly, they are encouraged to:
- tackle hard problems
- learn new things
- pair on complex builds
- code review each other’s work
- build strong partnerships with external stakeholders
- participate in team discussions
- feel comfortable disagreeing and discussing ideas related to product and technical decisions
- pitch new ideas and technologies
- take ownership of what they are working on and be proactive about
- figuring our solutions that fit the problem
- give kudos to their colleagues for the awesome work they are doing too
- Experience building user-facing web applications with MVC frameworks like Laravel and front end frameworks like Vue & Bootstrap.
- Willingness to learn any technology listed above that you may not have used before. Direct experience with the technologies listed above is a plus but is not strictly required.
- Enjoy working on projects that use data to tell a story and have some experience building data visualizations.
- Comfortable working in a small team environment, can take ownership of your projects, and can effectively communicate and advocate for your ideas.
- As part of a small team, you are willing to take on tasks that may be outside of your comfort zone.
- Eager to learn new skills and not afraid to fail quickly.
- Can communicate technical issues with both technical and non-technical teammates.
- Comfortable debugging, fixing, improving and QAing software that you may not have built.
- Comfortable with version controlling your code and collaborating with others.
- Progressive — previous work in politics is a plus, but not required.
More About Grow Progress
Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence. We aim to cultivate an environment where data drives our decisions rather than just anecdotes, and where everyone feels comfortable contributing ideas — even if it’s on a topic outside of their expertise. We work hard to get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful. We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using this technology ethically, so we’re looking for teammates who feel the same way.
We are committed to building an equitable company. We’re an equal opportunity employer. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veteran status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Remote or Washington, DC
Salary Range: $85,000 – $110,000 plus equity, depending on skill level and experience. Company benefits include a company-sponsored health insurance plan (also dental and vision coverage), a flexible PTO plan, and a 401(k) with employer matching, among others.
To Apply: Fill out the form at the link. Please note that if you email your resume to our team directly rather than applying through the form, you will not be considered for the position.
To apply for this job please visit growprogress.recruitee.com.