UltraViolet (UV) is hiring a Managing Director of Campaigns (MDC) to mentor, oversee and grow a team of digital campaigners, provide strategic leadership for our digital-first advocacy campaigns, and serve as a senior leader on the campaign team as we work to build durable power for the gender justice movement.
The MDC will be joining UltraViolet at an exciting moment as we move towards a structure that better supports our campaigns and campaigners.
This is a new role presenting an exciting opportunity to help us take our long term, flagship gender justice campaigns to the next level, as well as be an active part of UV’s commitment to leading with our anti-racist feminist, gender just values internally and externally.
Reporting to the VP of Advocacy and Membership, the MDC will directly supervise three Campaign Directors (one of whom manages another campaign professional) with an emphasis on running impactful campaigns while countering burnout, and bringing a person-centered management style in alignment with our organizational values and priorities to the team.
The MDC will also oversee the strategic advancement of our flagship campaigns, guiding campaign directors and helping ensure they see the forest for the trees and make tactical decisions that will keep these campaigns focused on impact and goals.
The team led by the MDC will work in parallel with another team led by the Managing Director of Growth and Member Experience, who oversees our week-to-week member engagement and growth-oriented rapid response work.
The role is fully remote, in an all-remote organization, with a starting salary range of $115,000 to $135,000, plus a home office stipend based on the cost of living in your location.
(Exceptionally qualified applicants with 8+ years of relevant experience including at least 4 years of management experience may be considered for a more senior version of this role and a salary range of $130,000 to $150,000.)
The Managing Director of Campaigns oversees the following areas of work:
Drives campaigning strategy:
- Provides in-depth, strategic input on all campaigns in order to drive maximum impact, running our internal campaigning strategy sessions and facilitating cross-campaign strategy conversations.
- Steps in and provides direct support on campaign projects, including executing campaigns and special projects, when necessary.
- Establishes and executes processes so that campaigners develop plans, strategies, tactics, and messaging that are in support of overall campaign team goals.
- Works in partnership with campaign directors to identify strategic opportunities to further our long-term campaign goals through strategic planned and rapid response interventions.
- Leads creative idea generation processes for campaign tactics, strategies, media plans, and new campaign ideas.
- Represents UV with partners and movement leaders at other organizations to move our work forward and identifies growth opportunities for UltraViolet in movement spaces.
- Works closely on a daily basis with the Managing Director of Growth & Member Experience to ensure that campaigns are driving member engagement and growing our base of action-takers, that we have cohesive messaging across all channels including social media, and that we are consistently ensuring alignment between rapid response and flagship campaigns when there are connected opportunities.
- Oversees communications consultants and ensure that UltraViolet’s campaigns have a clear public communications strategy.
- Helps lead and prepare for weekly campaigns team calls and daily conversations happening in Slack and over email, giving and seeking routine input and assistance in making decisions.
Grows, supervises, and supports campaign team members:
- Builds, leads, and mentors a team of communications and campaigns professionals with a focus on preventing burnout, encouraging growth, and providing clear direction.
- Manages staff to consistently meet performance expectations and routinely evaluates progress towards meeting expectations including weekly 1-1s with all direct reports, regular two-way feedback with reports, professional development plans, and annual evaluations.
- Creates and implements decision-making processes which allow people to engage in discussion but doesn’t sacrifice the core commitment to achieving results.
- Manages campaign team members towards strategic, measurable campaign goals and revisions.
- Ensures campaign directors are participating in movement spaces–conferences, coalition meetings, listservs, and events.
- Guides all campaign directors to setting and achieving their individual goals including professional development, with the intent to empower staff and support them in growth as individuals.
- Pitches in on all aspects of campaign planning and execution, as needed.
Serves as a leader across the organization:
- Serves as a member of the Leadership Team, an internal senior leadership table composed of the executive team and director-level staff leading specific organizationally operational areas of work.
- Communicates and coordinates effectively with the organizational leaders outside the campaigns team; specifically the finance, development, HR and operations teams; and ensures campaign directors are collaborating well across the organization.
- Participates in leadership-level organizational processes and decision-making, including annual goal and priority setting, virtual and in-person retreats, staff and org development work, always utilizing an equity and inclusion lens.
These are the required skills and experience for the position:
- Personal commitment to antiracist feminism and to UltraViolet’s mission to create a gender just future, as well as the ability to bring a strong antiracist and intersectional feminist lens to all aspects of your work.
- 5 or more years of experience working in digital campaigning, digital organizing, mediagenic campaigns, or online advocacy for a progressive organization or campaign; with at least 2 years of management experience.
- Sharp campaign strategy instincts and proven success overseeing and driving digital campaigns.
- Expertise in campaign planning including goal setting, insightful targeting, power mapping and targeting, pivoting at strategic inflection points, and campaign plan writing and evaluation.
- Knowledge and experience advocating for political and cultural change in a digital-first environment.
- Knowledge of the digital-first advocacy model and expertise with digital campaigning strategies, in particular email campaigning strategies.
- Knowledge of various digital tools including email, social media, SMS, petitions, earned media, and high visibility mobilizations.
- Expertise with communications and media strategies (including how to attract earned media).
- Strong writing skills.
We’re hoping that you’ll bring one or two (or more) of these bonus skills and experiences:
- Expertise with one or more of our core areas of work: corporate accountability, survivor justice and ending violence against women, reproductive rights, worker rights, racial justice, and/or sexist and racist disinformation.
- Ability to bring thought-leadership to our narrative and storytelling work and experience shaping the narrative with the media.
- Experience working with ActionKit and/or ActBlue.
- Experience working for a nonprofit advocacy organization that operates a PAC.
- Experience with federal legislative advocacy strategy.
- Experience with feminist and gender justice coalition spaces.
- Preexisting relationships with state-based groups working on issues relevant to UV.
- Experience hiring and managing culturally inclusive, diverse, engaged teams.
- Experience leading effectively during times of organizational growth and change.
You will thrive in this role if you’re someone who:
- Thrives while working remotely, since we are an all-remote organization.
- Is results-oriented–you’re always moving our campaigns and our work towards our annual goals, and overall mission and vision.
- Enjoys mentoring and delegation, coaching staff to success, and celebrating the entire team.
- Is an explicit, careful communicator who always leads by example.
- Is flexible and able to pivot quickly in a rapidly changing environment, identifying new and impactful ways for us to do our work and fulfill our mission.
- Is a smart, skilled, and experienced leader, supervisor, and decision-maker who thrives in a low-ego, collaborative environment that prioritizes work/life balance.
- Is an excellent project manager and can manage a project seamlessly from start to finish.
Perks of working for UltraViolet:
- Fully remote workplace, with home office stipend based on location
- Full health, dental, and vision benefits for employees, and generous coverage for your family
- Four to six weeks of vacation, 14 paid holidays, 2 weeks off at end of year, a shorter day on most Fridays
- 401(k) with a 5% employer contribution
- Sixteen weeks of parental leave, plus support for child care for work-related events and travel
The salary range for this position is $115,000 to $135,000, plus a home office stipend based on the cost of living in your location. Exceptionally qualified applicants with 8+ years of relevant experience including at least 4 years of management experience may be considered for a more senior version of this role and a salary range of $130,000 to $150,000.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of 11:59pm PT on July 4, 2022. Depending on applicant volume and qualification, the process may include three interviews, as well as a written component. Any applicants who are invited to, and complete, the written component will be provided a payment in appreciation, regardless of whether they are subsequently selected to move forward.
Apply via this link: https://ultraviolet.applytojob.com/apply/SUIdTMknj0/Managing-Director-Of-Campaigns
Since 2012, UltraViolet has been the premier national organization advocating for a gender just future using creative, strategic campaigning and digital-first organizing. UltraViolet drives feminist cultural and political change by exposing the white supremacist patriarchy and creating the conditions for a more just and equitable world for all.
Together with our more than 1.2 million members, we have taken over 17 million actions driving feminist cultural and political change. UltraViolet members have taken down major misogynists from Bill O’Reilly and Harvey Weinstein to Roger Ailes and Rick Ross, led the fight nationwide to combat racist and sexist disinformation during the 2020 election, campaigned for justice for women of color murdered by law enforcement, forced Google to stop promoting harmful and deceptive anti-abortion clinics, and more.
We work across a broad spectrum of interconnected issues that impact women’s lives, including violence against women, disinformation, health care, economic security, reproductive rights, and racial justice. In all of our work, we center frontline communities disparately impacted by sexist policies and practices, especially Black women, Indigenous women, women of color, people with disabilities, low-income women, immigrants, survivors, and LGBTQ+ people.
If fighting for a gender just future–a world where all people can thrive with freedom and dignity–ignites your passion, then UltraViolet is the organization for you!
UltraViolet is a multi-racial, multi-gender organization. We strongly encourage people of all genders, BIPOC people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and those from other systematically marginalized communities to apply.
UltraViolet is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. UltraViolet hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.
To apply for this job please visit ultraviolet.applytojob.com.