Working to end sexual assault in Maryland
The Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA) is Maryland’s sexual assault coalition and includes the State’s rape crisis centers and others concerned with ending sexual violence. Our mission is to help prevent sexual assault, advocate for accessible, compassionate care for survivors of sexual violence, and work to hold offenders accountable.
We believe we cannot successfully serve others if we do not take care of ourselves. MCASA staff are encouraged to practice self-care and are supported in finding a positive work-life balance. This position, along with the rest of the agency, will entail significant virtual work and allows for flexible scheduling.
The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI), a program within MCASA, provides comprehensive legal services to survivors of sexual violence, and technical assistance and training to professionals working with survivors. SALI is part of the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault and contributes to the overall mission of the agency, working on training, outreach, and systems advocacy as well as helping individual survivors.
MCASA is a flexible and supportive workplace devoted to helping survivors and to supporting professionals working with survivors, including our own staff. The offices are located in downtown Silver Spring and available for trial preparation, meetings, and work for those who prefer an office setting. Safety protocols, including limited office occupancy are in place. Most staff are working virtually and laptops and supplies are provided. MCASA does not anticipate resuming full-time in office work, however, there may be occasional meetings in person.
MCASA’s SALI includes both staff attorneys and senior staff attorneys. Senior staff have substantial experience and may be hired for a specific subject matter area. MCASA is currently seeking a full-time Senior Staff Attorney to assist victims of sexual assault and contribute to the development and administration of SALI services, outreach, and training. Attorneys with Maryland family law experience and experience managing attorneys are encouraged to apply. A minimum of five years of experience is required for a senior position. This position reports to the Managing Attorney.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES ADMISSION TO PRACTICE LAW IN MARYLAND.
Salary: High 60’s to 70’s, DOE and bar status. Salary negotiable for attorneys with more than 10 years experience. A part-time schedule is negotiable.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide legal services to victims of sexual assault, including assessment and referral, legal consultation, and representation in protective and peace order proceedings, family law cases, victim compensation proceedings, victim/witness representation in criminal cases, and other matters
- Develop and utilize skills to provide high quality and sensitive legal services that reflect a thorough assessment and awareness of clients’ social and cultural needs
- Assist with mentoring, management, and supervision of other staff working on family law cases or other area of expertise.
- Provide or assure provision of safety planning for victims
- Maintain reasonable caseload in compliance with grant requirements and needs of office
- Review cases with SALI Managing Attorney and seek assistance when needed
- Conduct legal research
- Provide community outreach, technical assistance, and training
- Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials
- Assist in coordination and development of low bono/pro bono attorney network
- Collect data needed for grant reports or other reasons; assist in grant report preparation
- Assist in recruiting and supervision of legal interns and other SALI staff
- Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant requirements
- Comply with Maryland Rules of Professional Conduct
- Such other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney and Executive Director
- J.D. from accredited law school
- Must be admitted to Maryland bar–Attorneys currently licensed in another State may be eligible for admission under Maryland Rule 19-218 (temporary admission for public interest attorneys licensed out of state) and must promptly seek permanent admission
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license; this position requires some travel within the State of Maryland
- 5 years litigation experience and/or judicial clerkship preferred
- Management experience preferred
- Performing arts or debating experience preferred
- Knowledge and/or previous work experience with sexual assault related issues preferred
- Family law or immigration experience preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. This job requires the ability to travel to and from different locations within the State of Maryland.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Staff is working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Return to the office is subject to ongoing assessment, and the office space is available to staff if needed, in compliance with current health and safety precautions.
Commitment to Diversity
MCASA is an equal opportunity employer. Its policy of nondiscrimination means that all employment decisions will be based on merit and without regard to factors unrelated to job performance, such as ethnicity, creed, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical, emotional or mental capacity.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to [email protected] Please include your name and position title in the subject.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org