Montgomery County, MD Government
Program Manager I (Assistant Operations Manager – Transfer Station)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
Derwood, Maryland 20855
Salary Range: $67,206 – $107,367
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities. DEP is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals and values diverse perspectives, lived experiences, and cultures. DEP encourages BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color), immigrants, women, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
DEP is seeking to fill a fulltime Program Manager I position in the Recycling and Resource Management Division, Resource Conversion Section to assist the Operations Manager in providing oversight of principal operations at the Montgomery County Transfer Station. The position will oversee contractor operations, enforce County policies and regulations, manage both scale houses and the scale house software system, and address problems that occur onsite. This position is also responsible for the tracking of material coming in and out of the facility.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage credit card revenue received at the Transfer Station (in excess of $10 million per year). Review scale house transactions and ensure that all funds received are properly deposited.
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place to safeguard County assets and generate accounting. Create reports from Paradigm to answer questions regarding scale house revenue.
- Conduct site-wide operational walk-around inspections, verifying materials are loaded out on a regular basis by contractors, and addressing site issues.
- Meet with contractor supervisors and site personnel to seek improvements to operations and address problems.
- Manage Sub-District “B” HOA Homeowners Association Community Bulk trash program including tracking, reviewing of all documents, approving or denying requests for eligibility.
- Ensure that all tonnage is properly accounted for and coded correctly with the Paradigm system for Maryland Recycling Act (MRA) reporting purposes.
- Assist in the development of budget proposals for funding current, new, or expanded programs.
- Supervise and provide program manager oversight of scale house employees.
This position requires regular inspection of an industrial facility and may impose physical demands including standing for long periods and/or walking over rough and uneven sites and terrain as well as exposure to dust, odors, noise, and vehicle exhaust fumes.
The selected employee must maintain good interpersonal working relationships with transfer station employees, county employees, contractors, and customers.
This position REQUIRES possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, perform other work at locations throughout Montgomery County, and participate in other work-related duties.
The individual selected for this position will be considered an “Essential Employee.” Essential employees must report to work during a period of general emergency or liberal leave.
Work Schedule: Tuesday – Saturday 8:30am-5:00pm (schedule subject to change based on operational need)
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
For information about Montgomery County’s comprehensive benefit offerings, please visit the MCG Careers Total Rewards webpage and check out our competitive benefits!
Experience: Considerable (3 years) of professional experience in solid waste, recycling, transfer station or recycling center operations, production or material processing, environmental compliance, or related areas.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possession of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence when required for job-related duties.
There are NO Preferred Criteria Assessments. All Applicants will be reviewed by the Office of Human Resources (OHR) for minimum qualifications. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be rated “Qualified”, placed on the eligible list, and may be considered for an interview. Employees meeting minimum qualifications of the same grade or higher will be placed on the Eligible List as a “Transfer” candidate and may be considered for an interview.
Preference for interviews will be given to applicants with experience in the following:
- Experience in formally and directly supervising and managing employees, as well as managing, overseeing, and monitoring • performed by contractors.
- Experience with solid waste, recycling, material recovery facility and/or transfer station operations, or related fields.
- Experience in written and oral communication (such as reports, proposals, correspondences, SOPs, presentations, community interactions, etc.) and working with a diverse customer population base.
- Experience with Paradigm or similar scale system software for tonnage reporting data collection and verification for accuracy.
- Experience with federal, state, and local environmental and safety regulations.
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated on your resume.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at
and click on “Search Jobs and Apply” .
Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category.
The requisition number is IRC59615
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment closes September 15, 2023
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position,
which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips
listed under the “Career Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.
To apply for this job please visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov.