MOVEON REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS (Independent contractors)
Project title: Visualization UX Design for Data Storytelling
Submission: Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “MoveOn Visualization UX Design for Data Storytelling” in the subject line. Proposals accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Project begins: Flexible
MoveOn is one of the largest independent progressive advocacy groups in the United States. MoveOn is where millions mobilize for a better society, one in which everyone can thrive. Whether it’s supporting a candidate, passing legislation, or changing our national culture, MoveOn members are committed to an inclusive and progressive future. We envision a world marked by equality, sustainability, and justice. And we mobilize together to achieve it.
MoveOn seeks an experienced consultant to help support MoveOn’s Data Storytelling for Progressive Change pilot program by designing and prototyping digital data storytelling experiences that are engaging, emotionally resonant, persuasive, and motivating to MoveOn members and the general public. The final visualizations should be mobile-friendly and accessible. The pilot program aims to produce 2-5 visualizations between the end of 2021 and April of 2022.
Scope of work
- Note that any hours given in a scope of work are an estimate and MoveOn does not guarantee a specific number of hours to its contractors.
- Participate in ideation workshops with MoveOn campaigners, communication staff, data scientists, and tech staff to explore data stories.
- In close collaboration with the Data Visualization Engineer and project director, develop prototypes and wireframes of potential visualizations/data stories.
- Estimated 5-20 hours of work per visualization—to be executed over a 1-4 week period, depending on contractor availability and project timeline.
Works closely with: Stephen Osserman, Senior Data Scientist and Director of MoveOn’s Data Storytelling for Progressive Change pilot program, and with other members of the pilot program team.
Criteria for selection: All applicants will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
- Previous excellent work in digital design and user experience for data visualization/data stories.
- Experience with accessibility in data visualization.
- Demonstrated strength in collaboration and communication.
- Strong equity lens, commitment to undoing systemic oppression in society and within workplaces, and skill in navigating complex dynamics around identity.
- Accountability, timeliness, and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong desire to support popular movements for progressive change.
Proposal submissions: To be considered for this role, please submit a résumé and a proposal which include the following information:
Background: Name, title, and contact information.
Experience: Tell us about your relevant experience. A résumé may be submitted in lieu of this section if your relevant experience appears within your résumé.
Portfolio: Please share a portfolio of relevant work.
Approach: In one page or less, briefly explain how you would approach this work, what tools or techniques you would use in different phases of the project (from ideation to prototyping), etc.
Equity: Please explain whether and how your firm has advanced the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion within the firm, and state how that is reflected in the leadership, ownership, and work of the firm. Please share how you will center equity in your work for this project.
Cost and availability: Please share your cost and availability. We are open to either junior to mid-level contractors with <5 years of relevant experience ($70 per hour) or senior contractors with >5 years of relevant experience ($100 per hour).
Source: Where did you hear about this RFP?
References: Past clients that MoveOn may reach out to as references, with contact info.
MoveOn reserves the right to make an award without further discussion of the proposal submitted. Therefore, the proposal should be submitted initially on the most favorable terms that the vendor could propose. There will be no best-and-final-offer procedure. MoveOn does reserve the right to contact a vendor for clarification of its proposal.
The vendor should be prepared to accept this request for proposal for incorporation into a contract resulting from this request for proposal. Contract negotiations may incorporate some or the vendor’s entire proposal. It is understood that the proposal will become a part of the official procurement file on this matter without obligation to MoveOn.
No obligation to contract
This request for proposal does not obligate MoveOn to contract for services specified herein.
Rejection of proposals
MoveOn reserves the right at its sole discretion to reject any and all proposals received without penalty and not to issue a contract as a result of this request for proposal.
The vendor will adopt and disseminate a policy that the vendor, in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, ethnic identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, economic status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected basis.